Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Outbreak Alert Message

• Please log in to reply

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Forum
I have Norton Internet Security 2006 and there firewall i got a Outbreak Alert Message Last Night saying your computer is protected against these rapidly spreading threats Threat Name Trojan . Peacomm the system is ok which is Highlighted in Green so my question is my system infected and if so should i post this in the Malware Forum. Thank you

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i think that's a notification from symantec that they updated their software deffinitions to protect against a specific virus outbreak...sort of a 'look at me...aren't i special?" kind of deal

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dsenette
Thank you for your quick reply it's good that it is nothing to worry about my Norton Internet Security is nearly up and i am going to replace it as i don't like it do you have any good suggestions as a replacement for Antivirus and Firewall Thank you

Happy NEW YEAR Dsenette i hope you and your Family have a Great Year

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i'm not the expert...and i know we USED to have a list somewhere about what "we" suggest...but for the life of me i can't find the thing

i know that the generally most suggested AV software packages are:
free ones:
avast
AVG free

Pay ones:
Nod32
AVG (not free)

i'm sure that's not a comprehensive list...and i don't use software firewalls (not that i haven't or that i don't like them...i just don't use them)...so i can't suggest much on the firewall front

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'm glad your getting rid of Norton. McAfee is almost as bad. I've had good luck with free Zone Alarm as a firewall. The latest version of Avast locked up on me the other day. If it happens again, I may have to go to AVG...

edit....I just wanted to add. If your using broadband (dsl, cable) get a router if you aren't using one.

Edited by macten, 23 January 2007 - 05:22 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dsenette
Thank you for your suggestions if you Don't use a firewall how do you protect your system What are the Do's and Don'ts of protecting your system. Thank you again

Congratulations on you New Position Here Well Done Best Wishes

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :help:

Hi macten
Thank you for your input as i said already i don't like Norton and i don't like McAfee either as it keeps asking what you want to do so it pops up to often for me also please tell me what did you mean by get a router. Thank you

:blink: Cheyenne 09 :)

Edited by cheyenne 09, 26 January 2007 - 01:38 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi Dsenette
Thank you for your suggestions if you Don't use a firewall how do you protect your system What are the Do's and Don'ts of protecting our system. Thank you again

well....at home i don't use a firewall because i'm on dialup...and i don't get online much..

but at work i've got a series of hardware firewalls...which is why i don't use software firewalls at work...pretty sure having 2 seperate hardware firewalls on the line cover the difference

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I don't know a whole lot about routers. I do know that they have a Nat firewall built in and are better than software firewalls. But I still use ZoneAlarm to back it up. ZA will tell me if something is trying to get out of my pc. I can allow it to or not allow it to. A friend of mine called a little while ago and said that a program called 12345678.exe was requesting access to the Internet. I told him to say 'no' to it. I went over and installed SpySweeper. It was a trojan...probably collected credit card numbers or passwords and wanted to call home.

Anyone on DSL or Cable should have a router. This is a must have. It will keep the bad guys out of your pc. I'm currently using a Linksys wireless router and before that was using a D-Link. If your not going wireless, I would recomend the D-link.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Anyone on DSL or Cable should have a router. This is a must have. It will keep the bad guys out of your pc. I'm currently using a Linksys wireless router and before that was using a D-Link. If your not going wireless, I would recomend the D-link.

almost true...though now adays it's getting closer to true...not all routers actually have firewalls built in (shocking)...and not all firewalls are created equal...alot of times the firewall included in most home routers is...well a little lacking...but if you back that up with a software firewall you're better off for sure....

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The D-Link and Linksys routers I've tested are rock solid. Test your router with Shields Up. Scroll down and follow the links:

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

I'm sure there are some garbage routers out there...

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dsenette
Thank you for explaining your Firewall situation that was very good of you i also do in fact have a router so what is the best way of it staying as safe as possible and if i remember correctly it does have a Firewall but how do i check for sure. Thank you

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi macten
Thank you for all of your input most kind of you thank you again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the best way of staying as safe as possible is to #1 keep geeks2go in your favorites :whistling: #2 is to have a good AV program that is regularly updated and fully functional (whether it's free or payed for it doesn't do a bit of good without updates) #3 have AT LEAST one good antimalware program that's updated (keep in mind that if you have multiple andimalware programs with "live agents" then you can only have one live agent active at a time...or they will conflict) #4 have a well configured and updated firewall...this can be a hardware firewall, a software firewall, or both...your choice

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dsenette
Thank you for your quick reply and your Advice as this is really appreciated since i joined here at geeks2go i have had your website in my favorites and i visit here daily. As the Help and Advice Here is exceptional Thank you again.

I have just found this link which explains about this Outbreak Alert: Trojan.Peacomm
threat level increased from Symantec Security Response

http://nortonmail.sy...0563CF61AC1801D

I hope this will Help anyone else with this problem
Thank you