Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Properties are not editable?!?

• Please log in to reply

DybbukAtroxic

DybbukAtroxic

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I use a Dell LCD Monitor and every time I have tried to format and reinstall XP on my hard drive I go to my Monitor section and the Monitor Properties are shaded out thus making me stuck with the default crap that XP put on for my comp. I have the drivers I need for my monitor but the frackin thing wont let me use them.

Does anyone know away around that so that I can install my drivers a different way?

I've tried installing XP in several ways with a different monitor and removing my video card to use the onboard video and did it with both my LCD and a CRT monitor and its the same thing every time. Maybe its because it only lets me format using NTFS but I dunno...I've tried everything I can think of and I'm at the end of my rope on this one.

Here is a screenshot of what it is doing.

Posted Image

If anyone can help me, please do so...this crap is making me insane!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
After formatting, have you installed the drivers for video cards (both the onboard and the add-on)? The NTFS file system has got nothing to do with the video problem.

DybbukAtroxic

DybbukAtroxic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Press start then run then type devmgmt.msc
then press <enter>

Or

Right click My Computer then choose Manage then Device Manager

Do you see any yellow ? or !

many....here is a screen of that.

Posted Image

After formatting, have you installed the drivers for video cards (both the onboard and the add-on)? The NTFS file system has got nothing to do with the video problem.

I did for the on-board but not the add-on...but it did the same thing when I deactivated my add-on one. Well at least I think I did for the on-board...I ran the motherboard driver installation...wouldn't that be it?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
if you know your make and model number of your computer then you can go to the manufactures site

and look under technical support >>>or help and support ...once you get to that area then you can look for drivers and software ....thats where your model number will be handy..you will be brought to the download site and if its possible just download and install all the drivers sound audio video etc......

if you have any problem downloading or installing let us know

*****please note that some drivers require to have
*****Microsoft net frame 1.1.... the download site should tell you

GOOD LUCK

DybbukAtroxic

DybbukAtroxic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have the cd for the monitor and all it does is user docs for how the [bleep] the rotates and other useless crap like that. Pardon the language, I have just gained a huge hatred for all things dell.

The cd has a dll file, security log, and an ICC profile as well.

So I download the drivers from the dell site since they manufac'd it. I get the exe all it does is extract the same files on the cd and tell me to go to the monitor properties to install it...which is also useless as I would have already done that if I could...man I hate dell.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you're wanting the drivers for your graphics card not the monitor

what model dell is it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Normally you don't need a monitor driver. What you need are the video cards' (controllers) drivers. You have plenty drivers missing, as you can see. Please do as rushin1nd suggested, download and install all the drivers (except for BIOS) which you can find on Dell's site. After that you will need drivers for each piece of hardware marked by qustion mark (printer, modem etc.). Hopefully you kept the installation disks of the hardware. If not, you will have to search for them on the net.

DybbukAtroxic

DybbukAtroxic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
my computer is no longer a dell comp as I had to replace alot of parts from my power supply having a fit and frying my motherboard. Anyway, you all were right. The problem was not with my monitor it was with my video card. I installed the correct drivers for the card and it works just fine now. Thanks for all your help...I appreciate it very much. This is certainly the best tech support forum I've ever been on...thanks again.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

give this program a try

download it use the program to locate your drivers

you have i guess 2 choices..you can purchase the program

it finds the drivers and installs them for you

or dont purchase it and write down the drivers company name and the date they became available

then you can search for those drivers online and install them yourself

put a check mark in the box if its sound and audio do that

click the + sign look to the right and your drivers will show