Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Core 2 Duo Build- parts ordered! Compatible?

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Building a computer primarily for gaming and because I've upgrade the sony vaio about as far as it'll go.
Here's the list of parts I have on order.

Gigabyte GA-965p-s3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Mobo
OCZ 2GB kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Enhanced latency Platinum XTC edtion Dual Channel Memory
Core 2 Duo e6600 4MB cache LGA 775retail boxed w. cooling fan
artic silver 5 compound
BFG Geforce 7950 GT 512 MB/SLI/PCI express/dual dvi/hdtv/vid card
Western Digital Caviar SE WE2500JS 250G Serial ATA II 7200RPM drive w/ 8MB buffer
Raidmax 02 ATX302BP Mid Tower Case w 420W PSU
XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2 OS w upgrade coupon
Thermaltake 120mm case fan

Is everything compatible? Did I forget anything? Do I need to amend the order?
Thanks.

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
If I were you I would buy a seperate power supply, ones that come with raidmax cases are known to be of bad quality.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I agree on the PSU. Also, I would go for the 16MB cache version of your harddrive, it's only a couple of dollars more.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild get a better case, a good case is probably the safest investment you can make in a computer as alot of things drop in value but a good case keeps its value a long time, it can even go up if they stop making them and its replacement isn't as good. A good PSU is also essential you need something better than a raidmax its also a smidge on the low side of the power you need. Also get cheaper gfx or wait till dx10 its not worth it to put your money in a dx9 card, ild also go for an ATI if you are going high end dx9.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thanks y'all. I'll look into getting a better case/PSU. Eventually I want to house the rig in a Radiola 77 I'm refininshing (stand up tube radio from the 1930s) so I just wanted a cheap case for a temporary home. However, since the PSU stinks, I'll cancel the order from ZZF.com - drive, case, and memory- and re-order the memory, a different case, and the 16mb buffer drive. Would and ANtec 500W PSU be enough?

I also have a follow-up question about the memory. OCZ has 2 sets of platinum series memory on sale with a rebate until the end of the month. The price difference is about $30, but which one is better? and why?

OCZ2P8002gk- enhanced latency platinum XTC edition ($206 after rebate)
OR
OCZ2P800R22GK- platinum revision 2 ($187 after rebate)