Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

MatthewG

MatthewG

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am very new to the world of building computers so please keep that in mind. I am used to using an older HP laptop and very tired of waiting for things to load, lag, etc. I don’t game (but would like maybe have some ability to, I don’t want to be limited). The main reason for building is because I program quite a bit, sometimes in things like VB but most importantly microchips through external hardware. My requirements:

- Be able to run multiple large development programs at the same time.
- Multiple monitor setup.
- DVD/TV tuner capability.
- Good sound output for small auxiliary speakers.
- High speed USB (I use a 1:4 expander right now; I could use up to 5 in my current setup)
- Enough memory for both the development software and music.

I will most likely go for Windows Vista? That seems to be the latest and greatest. I have been reading and a core duo processor looks like a very good choice. Anyways, beyond that I just need some general help with the MOBO, RAM, maybe a good CD/DVD unit, and sound/video card (sapphire, AGP?). I think a psu is easy enough to pick out, and case might be last too. I am just stepping my foot in the door right now. My budget is about $1000 for it all, but if a good system can be for $800 so be it, or $1200, so be it. Thanks to all you for the help!

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Find the parts you are looking for, shop around on newegg, tiger direct, etc and post what you want on here.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I would reccomend:
-Core 2 Duo Processor (good for large apps)
-A 965 or 975 chipset motherboard (has room for plenty of Ram, PCI for the TV tuner, 975 has multiple graphics cards for multiple displays, as well as 7.1 sound and enough USB ports)
-at least a 500-600W Power supply
-Pioneer or sony make good DVD's
-cosrair ram (2 gigs)

As the last person said, find some products and we will rate what you have chosen.

Edited by sarahw, 23 January 2007 - 11:45 PM.

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard – OEM $171.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor $316.00

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $74.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $267.00

Pioneer Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 5X DVD-RAM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2M Cache ATAPI DVD Burner – OEM $31.99

SAPPHIRE 100162L Radeon X1300XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Video Card $76.99

Leadtek TV2000XP/EXPERT PCI Interface TV/FM Tuner Card w/REMOTE $38.99

Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CE, FCC, CCC, CB, C-tick $109.00

Thermaltake SOPRANO VB1000BWS Black 0.8 mm SECC Chassis, Plastic Front Door ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $79.99

Hanns•G JW-199DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers

W/out the monitor it is about $1200, which isnt bad. Is there anything I can do better on (price/quality)? Or is there anything there I wouldnt need? I am just kind of guessing with that video card, any suggestions are welcome. Please let me know how this would work, thanks!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What are you planning on using this computer for, gaming, photo/video editing?
If your playing any recent games or doing video editing, your going to need to look into buying a better video card, since that'll barly even meet some minimum requirements for todays games. However if you don't plan on doing any video editing or gaming, i'd suggest you drop the video card all together and go with intergraded. Also another option is the all in wonder video cards (a video card with PVR/TV tuner capabilities).
James

P.S. if your planning on hooking up multiple monitors the all in wonder video cards won't be an option as they don't have two DVI outputs. If you don't plan on overclocking that ram is also overkill, look at some ram that has a memory speed of 533MHz, it'll do you fine and save you some $$$. You will see vitually no performance loss either.

Edited by james_8970, 24 January 2007 - 11:55 AM.

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i really dont need anything for gaming, video editing MAYBE, playing DVD's definitly. Could you recomend some video cards, maybe with the tv tuner?

*Also, do I need to be buying like the set of memory? Instead of buying the 1gb (x2) can I just buy two of the same 1gb cards seperately? And do I really need 2gb?

Edited by MatthewG, 24 January 2007 - 12:10 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If you're spending upwards of $1000 on the system, then you definitely don't want to bottleneck everything with that video card. If you don't mind dealing with mail-in rebates, then I would seriously consider this 7600GT for only $13 more. It also has 2 DVI ports to support your monitors:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143049

If you don't need the additional PCI-e X16 slot then you could probably save a little money by going with the DS3 version of your mobo:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128012

Everything looks pretty good though, good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by kidnova, 24 January 2007 - 12:16 PM.

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I was actually on that video cards webpage as I read your post. I think the DS3 would work, I loose that slot and a firewire port, but I dont think I will need either? So if it is that card and that mobo, then I am still on hold for what to do about memory...

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
James is absolutely right and if you have no intention of overclocking, then you are better off going with DDR2 @ 533MHz. Here is a link to a thread that explains why much better than I can:

http://forums.guru3d...ad.php?t=195187

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hmm i can't find any of the cards I was thinking of on the internet. If they even exist :whistling: But if you are planning on connecting two monitors it is out of the question.
kidnova - the video card should never be much of a bottleneck to the system as he doesn't plan on playing video games. That being said, that video card has one of the best price/performance ratio and I'd recommend it as well.

James

Edit: If you buying vista, 2GB goes more or less without a thought. Microsoft recommends 1GB however, but its really pushing it if you are running it with that amount of ram.

Edited by james_8970, 24 January 2007 - 01:37 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
One other thing, kidnova i compleatly disagree with you about the USB thing, but MatthewG this is totally up to you, but to me every computer user from one time or another will need to use USB, many some even firewire. So I'd recommend going with a motherboard with the USB and firewire.
However if you don't plan on using it because you don't have a digital camera, video camera, external hard drive, mouse or keyboard that requires USB don't get it. But it gives you a lot of options for what you want to use your computer for.
But in my opinion every computer needs to have USB and maybe even firewire.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 January 2007 - 02:07 PM.

The_Shadow_630

The_Shadow_630

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I am going to have to agree with kidnova here. You are still going to have 4 USB 2.0 jacks, and if you do get something that is firewire, there are adapters out there that you can get. Most digital cameras and things like that come with them anymore anyway. I think that the system is good all-in-all, got to agree with everyone on the RAM thing, don't think you are going to need that speed, but definately that amount and with the MB you will be able to increase it later for better performance if you come to need it. All in all, good system, should serve you well. Best of luck on your build.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling: disregard my last post. The case comes with USB 2.0. I thought kidnova was saying to build a computer without any USB ports.
I must be going crazy.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 January 2007 - 05:19 PM.

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
how about

CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

I am still wondering if I need one of those memory 'sets' that are more expensive? Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edited by MatthewG, 24 January 2007 - 07:49 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you mean the two that come together, yes its recommended as they will run in dual channel mode and preform better.
James