Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Menu MFU List won't clear

• Please log in to reply

rodgeraj

rodgeraj

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm running Windows XP Media Center 2005. I'm not quite sure when it started happening but I've had two programs stuck in my Start Menu MFU list. I've tried clearing the list, switching from XP view to Classic View and back, restarting between. I even checked other profiles and mine seems to be the only one affected. I then uninstalled the software that was "to blame" for the MFU indicator and that didn't seem to help either. I then ran registry scans with Norton Win Doctor, Registry Booster, and Registry Mechanic. I'm out of ideas and I've still got a file there that no longer exists, but is showing up anyway. It's taunting me.

I've searched for the better part of a day to figure out where I could find something to clear the MFU list and I haven't had any luck. Any help you can provide to eliminate this item would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Drew

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rodgeraj...

Do you remember the names of the actual program .exe files? If you know that, we can tweak the registry to remove the offending entries.

wannabe1

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

I don't run Media Center, but I imagine it might not be so different from regular XP.

In your Start menu, is the offending object text bolded? If it is, then it's "pinned" to the Start menu and won't clear out even if you set options to 0, or you clear the list. Right click on the offending item and choose the option to "unpin from Start menu", and it should disappear. If it doesn't, then try clearing the list again. I don't know if you already tried this, but if this doesn't help, I'll try to do more research.

makai

rodgeraj

rodgeraj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The registry cleaner got rid of the Winrar.exe entry after several tries and several restarts. I've not had any luck with the WSFTP Pro Release Notes, however. It's an item that isn't pinned... here's a picture of the Start Menu with the mouseover tooltip on the item. I can't right click on it to remove it from the list. If I click on it, Notepad opens up and says "Cannot find the C:\Program Files\WS_FTP Pro\whatsnew.txt file. Would you like to create a new file?"

Thanks again for the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• startmenu.png

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I guess my next question will be a bit mute...
Did you try creating a new file then deleting the short cut? Obviously the shortcut is linked to a non-existant file. If you create one, then you may be able to then delete the shortcut, then go and delete the file.

rodgeraj

rodgeraj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I did a bit of futzing with the registry and I accomplished something to get it to go away. Thanks.