Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why can't i get power

• Please log in to reply

philipglass

philipglass

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello sirs,
I put my computer in storage for about a year, pulled it out tonight and it's not sending power to the keyboard (the CAPS light doesn't come on), the monitor (it doesn't even say "no signal", although it flashes a green light which tells me it's getting power), or the speakers (I don't hear a startup sound). However, it sounds like it's running perfectly. Is there anything I can do without trying to hook another monitor up to it? I opened up the case and none of the connections were loose.
Thanks!
Philipglass

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Your best option is the one you don't want to do... change the monitor.

This will isolate whether it's the monitor or the computer.

makai

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
welcome to G2G

From what u posted it doesn't sound like is only you'r monitor cause u posted that the keyboard doesn't respond allso. If the caps lock and num lock dont work then it is not only the monitor.
If your computer is over 2 years old then it should have a speaker that should beep. make sure it is connected and listen what happens when u start it up. here is a link to the different beep codes
http://www.sysopt.co...cle.php/3552501

Post and tell us what u found. Allso give us more info about your computer.

philipglass

philipglass

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

welcome to G2G

From what u posted it doesn't sound like is only you'r monitor cause u posted that the keyboard doesn't respond allso. If the caps lock and num lock dont work then it is not only the monitor.
If your computer is over 2 years old then it should have a speaker that should beep. make sure it is connected and listen what happens when u start it up. here is a link to the different beep codes
http://www.sysopt.co...cle.php/3552501

Post and tell us what u found. Allso give us more info about your computer.

OK. I hooked up the speakers, but didn't hear a beep. The computer is an eMachine running XP. I bought in 2002, I believe. I stored it for a year in a South Florida closet in the original box with styrofoam around it. It's dusty inside the case, but all of the connections look fine... I also don't think it's the monitor. When I unplugged the monitor from the back of the computer, it flashed a "no input" message.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I didn't mean the speakers for the audio. I meant that there is a small speaker inside the computer that should beep. It has 2 wires red and black. it connects to the mother board the direction of the connection doesn;t matter.

I have never opened an eMachine so I can only help so much. But sounds like a hardware problem. If there r slots with cards on the mother board take them out and see if anything happens.