Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Need help identifying computer skills term

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am applying for an entry level position with a company, and have a question about one of their computer skill requirements ...

"We require knowledge and experience in browsing the Internet using Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer along with the ability to work on Windows and Media Access Control address platforms"

I have read up on MAC addresses, but cannot find much detail on what would be expected of me in this situation. Can anyone explain how one would "work" with this? Also, is this something I can teach myself or learn in a reasonable amount of time? Any resources that would be useful? Finally, do they mean Windows platform and MAC platform, or some type of Windows/MAC platform?

I am computer literate, but appreciate the use of layman's terms when possible.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this! (and I apologize if this is in the wrong forum)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Don't take this the wrong way but if you don't know what the technology is the company is asking for in the job description, should you really be applying for that job? But anyway, that's not for me to pass judgement on.

Anyway, Media Access Control is basically an advanced type of networking. They are effectively security guards and follow the same procedure as MAC addresses do, only on a more complicated scale.

Please see http://en.wikipedia...._Access_Control for starters. I don't think its something you can pick up quickly as you may need hands-on experience to understand it properly and there's no demand for it in a home environment.