Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Setup Problem

• Please log in to reply

Pat 2007

Pat 2007

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello All,
Recently i decided to check out a linux distro (Ubuntu) with a live cd and i liked it, so i decided to install it on my pc. I did that and somebody talked me out of using linux and i tried to un-install ubuntu, except i did it the wrong way by guessing how and not reffering to the internet for the proper way of doing so.

Guess what, i booted up in windows xp and deleted the linux swap and ext3 partitions, and i couldnt access XP or Ubuntu.

So i was like oh no, i booted up the XP Installation CD after wiping the harddrive with some software(and added a new partition for windows) and i got to the Partition Select part of the XP Setup and it showed the Partions as unknown,Now right there at that one section of the installation i can press Exit,Delete Partition,Create Partition and i get a Blue Screen. (I get not even 0% of XP installed)

The partition i created was correct im pretty sure, drive letter was C: ,and the filesystem is NTFS

Im not sure what to do, i've been trying to fix it for 3 or 4 days now, and im at my wits end.

(Disc is fine)

Please Help, and Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pat 2007, 23 January 2007 - 09:47 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Please read my signature and list your machine specs. If it's an OEM computer, please list the module number/maker. Any info will help. The reason I'm asking is I just helped someone and it took 9 replies before he mentioned he was running a Raid array. This kind of information is important to know up-front.

In the meantime, and since you're at a standstill, would you happen to have the hard drive manufactures utility disc. If you do, go ahead and use it to wipe, partition and reformat the drive. It is much faster to work the hard drive using the manufactures utility than depending on Windows to do it.

Thanks,
makai

Pat 2007

Pat 2007

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i have 'stock' desktop HP-store bought, if u really need the model number ill have to look for it. im not all that good at hardware so im not tha sure, im more of a software guy.

(i THINK i might hav the thing with it about if u got 2 256 MB Ram Modules)

(no utility disc) i do have 2 XP CD's- SP1& SP2 [both show no partitions at install then crash]

Im Desperate

Edited by Pat 2007, 24 January 2007 - 05:32 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

i have 'stock' desktop HP-store bought, if u really need the model number ill have to look for it

It would help a lot to find this info.

(i THINK i might hav the thing with it about if u got 2 256 MB Ram Modules)

I don't understand this. Please clarify. Thanks