Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop up reminder prompt before shutdown

• Please log in to reply

multiplex77

multiplex77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to create a simply text reminder that pops up everytime before the laptop shutsdown? I just need something to remind myself to record my timesheet for the day before I end my work. I need a pop up that will be something like "Have to filled in your timesheet yet?" - OK, Cancel. Ok shuts down and Cancel will abort the shutdown.

Thanks for the advice.

Multiplex.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yes definately possible...

I got bored and coded up a program for ya. Download the attachment and place it on your desktop. Now whenever you're ready to shutdown Windows just run the program on your desktop and it'll remind ya.

By default, Yes is entered into the text box. After hitting the OK button with Yes in the input box the program will shutdown the computer. If instead you are not ready to shutdown hit Cancel or type something other than Yes into the input box.

I'm not gonna lock this program with anything fancy because you can edit it to your needs. Spent a good couple of hours on it so I hope it helps ya out.

Link Locations:
http://www.badongo.com/file/2082617

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 24 January 2007 - 11:07 AM.

multiplex77

multiplex77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Wow thanks so much! I really appreciate this Bobbydoo8!

One question: How can I make shutdown.vbs launch when I choose Start -> Turn off computer --> Turn Off.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
To answer your question try googling "Access Shutdown Scripts on Windows XP"

I looked for a while and ran into some helpful information, but from the looks of it you are going to have to add some shutdown scripts. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've been looking and haven't found anything yet.....I may continue my search tomorrow. :whistling:

timetowaste247

timetowaste247

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had this freeware or shareware program for awhile that is called SwitchOff. I sorta does what you want. It's a program that will automatically shutdown your computer at a regular time. As part of the setup you can have a message say whatever you want and have the option to cancel the shutdown.