Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connection

• Please log in to reply

seanb

seanb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: i recently began using broadband, when i open the explorer it says there is a connection and i can browse without any problems but after about three minutes it wont open any more pages but still says it is connected.

i have reinstalled tcp/ip, have perfromed msconfig and turned off programs for start up that are dubious( one called slserver turns itself on when restarted and i cant get rid of it). i have a run virus scans and anti adware programs. could there still be virus or adware installed causing this?

my mom brought my computer into her IT dept but i dont want to bother them again. also runtime error 123 at 00404f74(cant really remember but is runtime 123) appears, but ive been told thats mal-ware. please help need to use the net for college work. will probably be cut off now. thanks!

Advertisements

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If you suspect spy-ware or mal-ware or even a virus. Download and run these programs.

Ad-aware SE
Spybot Search and Destroy
Hijackthis

AVG anti-virus...

These programs will take care of almost any spyware problem you can think of. Also since you just switched to broadband make sure that under Internet Properties --> Connections --> LAN Settings --> Automatically detect settings "make sure that this box is selected"..

Also you might try the new spyware program that microsoft has put out. I believe its still BETA but its very good from everything I have heard.

The Lightninghawk

seanb

seanb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey thanks for the reply. i have avg, adware se. will download the others.
also i have to restart the computer for the page to open.
ps i have it set to automatically detect setings.
thanks again. :tazz:

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Anytime. Just let me know if I can be of further service.