Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I disable the compression function in Outlook Express?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi!

A question (what a surprise...):
My Outlook Express is full of email, still they are all emails that have to be instantly available and I do not wish to backup / compress / remove at this moment.
My problem is that Outlook Express has a sort of size trigger (I suspect) that, everytime you close it down, asks if you want to compress your emails to save space / make it quicker.
All fine and well, but now I spent a lot of time waiting for compression to complete.
Sure, I can choose "no" when asked to compress, but I don't want this everytime I check my mail.

Is there a way to permanantly shut this function off?

Hope someone knows and wants to help.

TIA
Webslinger

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You can't disable the prompt to compact (compress) your emails. It kicks in automatically when you've opened/closed OE 100 times. What you can do, however, is reset the counter in the Registry so it won't nag you again till OE has again been opened/closed another 100 times.

I've pulled the following registry fix from another website:

"If you don't want to compact for reasons of your own and you are skilled in using the registry, check for the info at this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for Identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\6.0

Look in the right hand pane of the registry for "Compact Check Count" and reset its value to zero [0] and you will not be bothered again until the count of opening/closing again approaches 100"

Edited by pip22, 24 January 2007 - 09:11 AM.