Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Vista

• Please log in to reply

Karen50

Karen50

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
-What is the Catroot2 reset

-Explaining of windows genuine advantage (WGA)

-What is the difference between an Express install and a Custom Manual Install

-2 types of installers Windows installer and Active shield how to access them

-How can you change file assocation

-How to set a Compatabilty - PCA mode for earlier versions

And a link that will further explain:
Winows defender/security center
automatic updates, virus protection

I tried to find some items on search engines but did not com up with much.
Thanks everyone

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Well that's a bunch of questions, don't know all of the answers, but some of them to get ya goin.

1. No idea

2. Windows Genuine Advantage(WGA) -- Just fancy words to try and cut down on piracy. What they're trying to say is that people that legally buy Windows XP or Vista will receive advantages in software by being able to download updates. Such examples include: Windows DreamScene(video Desktop), Security Updates, and just little extras to the software. Windows has been making their software, Windows Media Player 11 in particular, unable to install if you do not have a genuine copy of Windows.

3. IMO, never use express install. I always make sure to use custom install because I don't want windows to choose the partition to setup windows vista.

4. Not sure

5. File associations can be changed in Control Panel(classic view)>Folder Options>File Types tab. or... the easy way is to simply right-click on the file with the association that is set incorrectly, opens with>choose program..., then choose the program, and place a checkmark next to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."

6. Not sure

7. Windows Defender/Security center, auto updates, virus protection -- I'm sure all of these little explanations can be found on the windows vista homepage....http://www.windowsvista.com

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
catroot2 is cryptographic services. Most problems have been corrected through Windows update. Good info here: http://www.updatexp....ic-service.html

You can change program compatability through the right-click menu.

Karen50

Karen50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
oh man this helps so much!

Thanks guys...