Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message

• Please log in to reply

momfor5

momfor5

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
I just bought this computer from dell everything works fine but my internet connection. I can connect to the internet and surf for awhile but about three sometimes more pages in I get this error message (internet Explorer cannot display the web page) I even got it when posting on your site if I refresh or click back it will work again. I did talk to dell but they don't seem to understand what’s going on.

Things I have done: updated driver for the Modem, checked my connection line (I am on dial up connection), dell had me delete all cookies and history ect. None of this has helped.

I don't have a firewall except for windows firewall
The computer did come with Norton But I don't care for Norton so I deleted it and downloaded AVG. I did use Norton for about a week But it just had too many updates ect.

I do run windows XP

Hope you can help .

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of Internet Explorer have you got?

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Internet explorer 7 , I just installed this a few days ago but I was haveing the same error message with the one that came on with the computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools internet options, delete, delete all, tick delete files for add ons

Click advanced tab, click reset

Close IE7 then re-open it

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok I did this when I reopened it, it ask me who I wanted for my search and I clicked live search.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it running any better?

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
No it just did it again. when I open another page Misrosoft said I did not have the right Xp 7 and I sould download( Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) (most common)
For use with Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows XP ) should I do this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Where did you download the version you have?

If the page is there then click yes

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Windows automatic updates. I am downloading now, it will be awhile dail up is not that fast.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Depending on how it runs then, there is an option to check the system files and one to repair the install of XP without losing data

Advertisements

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ok I am done downloading and I thought it help for a while but it started again and this time it would not let any page load. I had to delete my internet connection and reinstall it before I could get back on. This is a new computer I don't get why it would have this problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this, then retry it

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply but dell called and had me do some thing (they didn't work). I think it’s my dial up provider. But I have another problem. Dell had me do a lot of what you were asking and a little more. I had upgraded to internet explorer 7 and had Google toolbar but when Dell got done I was back at IE6 and Google toolbar gone. I ask them if I could go back to IE7 He said yes. Last night I downloaded IE7 and Google, IE7 said it did download and it said it had installed but I don't see it and Google will not download. I am sure he just had me turn off something that allows downloads to install. I am not sure if you will know what that would be, I just my have to call Dell Again (Just don't like being on the phone for a hour ha ha). Thanks for all your help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could you download and save IE7 to a folder, then run set up and post any errors it has

http://www.filehippo...ernet_explorer/

momfor5

momfor5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Error message when you try to install Internet Explorer 7: "Internet Explorer could not be installed"
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 917925
Last Review : December 26, 2006
Revision : 8.2
Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure to back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 (http://support.micro....com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
On This Page

SYMPTOMS

CAUSE

WORKAROUND

Method 1

Method 2

Method 3

Method 4

Method 5

STATUS

MORE INFORMATION
SYMPTOMS
When you try to install Windows Internet Explorer 7, the installation wizard finishes. But after the wizard finishes, you receive the following error message:
Internet Explorer 7 could not be installed. You must restart your system to confirm that any changes to your system are undone.

After you restart, follow the "Internet Explorer Troubleshooting" shortcut on your desktop to get more information.
If the installation wizard never finishes, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
926716 (http://support.micro....com/kb/926716/) The installation of Windows Internet Explorer 7 never finishes
Back to the top

CAUSE
This issue may occur when either of the following conditions is true: • Permissions for one or more registry subkeys or for files on the computer are restricted in a way that prevents the update of those registry subkeys or computer files. A failure to update a registry key or a computer file may cause the Setup program to fail.
• Something has caused the computer not to trust the Internet Explorer 7 installation package.

Back to the top

WORKAROUND
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

The steps outlined in this article involve changing permissions on registry keys to allow installation of Internet Explorer 7. Although modifying the permissions is required to install Internet Explorer 7, in some cases these permissions can be configured for a specific reason. Make sure you understand if any such reasons exist and the potential impact of modifying registry permissions before you modify them. In addition, you can modify registry permissions to allow installation of Internet Explorer 7 and change them back to their original configuration after setup is complete.
Back to the top

Method 1
If you use any antivirus or antispyware programs, disable them before you install Internet Explorer 7. Then, re-enable them after the installation has finished. For example, to install Internet Explorer 7 on a system that has Webroot SpySweeper installed, you must first disable the IE Hijack shield. For more information about how to disable the IE Hijack shield, visit the following Web site:
http://support.webro...questionID=2661 (http://support.webro...questionID=2661)
Some antivirus and antispyware programs prevent Internet Explorer 7 from successfully installing, even when the antivirus and antispyware programs are disabled. For more information about these issues, visit the following Microsoft Web page:
http://msdn2.microso...e/aa740486.aspx (http://msdn2.microso...e/aa740486.aspx)
Back to the top

Method 2
1. Determine whether there is a problem that prevents the registry from being updated:a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\ie7.log, and then click OK to open the ie7.log file.

Note By default, the ie7.log file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
b. Press CTRL+END to move to the end of the ie7.log file.
c. On the Edit menu, click Find.
d. In the Find what box, type IECUSTOM: Key is still unwriteable.
e. Under Direction, click Up, and then click Find Next.

If you find the "Key is still unwriteable" text, this indicates that there is a problem that is preventing the registry from being updated. For example, text that resembles the following in the log file indicates that there is a problem:
time_stamp: IECUSTOM: Key is still unwriteable registry_subkey
In this example, registry_subkey is the name of the registry subkey that is causing the problem.

If you do not find the "Key is still unwriteable" text in the ie7.log file, go to step 2 for additional troubleshooting steps.
2. Reset the registry permissions for the registry subkey that has the incorrect permissions. To update the permissions of the registry subkey, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
b. Locate and then right-click each registry subkey that you noted in step 1e, and then click Permissions on the Edit menu..

Note The ie7.log file contains the following abbreviations: • HKCR = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
• HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
• HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER

c. Under Group or user names, click Administrators.
d. Under Permissions for Administrators, make sure that the Allow check box is selected for the following entries: • Full Control
• Read
Make sure that the Deny check box is not selected for any users or groups.

For more information about how to modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310426 (http://support.micro....com/kb/310426/) How to use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor features
e. Click Apply, and then click OK.
f. On the File menu, click Exit.
g. Try to install Internet Explorer 7 again. You may have to repeat these steps if there are other keys that have permissions that prevent Internet Explorer 7 from installing.

Back to the top

Method 3
1. Determine whether there is a problem that prevents the files from being backed up or updated. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\ie7.log, and then click OK to open the ie7.log file.

Note By default, the ie7.log file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
b. Press CTRL+END to move to the end of the ie7.log file.
c. On the Edit menu, click Find.
d. In the Find what box, type ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Cancelled.
e. Under Direction, click Up, and then click Find Next.

If you find the "ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Cancelled" text, this indicates that there is a problem that is preventing an IE6 file from being saved for uninstall. For example, text that resembles the following in the log file indicates that there is a problem:
Time_stamp: ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Cancelled
Time_stamp: DoInstallation:UpdSpCommitFileQueue for AlwaysQueue Failed: 0x4c7

If you do not find the "ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Cancelled" text in the ie7.log file, use Method 4 for additional troubleshooting steps.

2. Reset the permissions for the Vgx.dll file. To set the permissions of the file to the default, follow these steps: a. Click Start, click Run, type one of the following commands, and then click OK: • If you are running Microsoft Windows XP, type the following command:
echo y| cacls "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll" /P BUILTIN\Users:R "BUILTIN\Power Users:C" BUILTIN\Administrators:F "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F"
• If you are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, type the following command:
echo y| cacls "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll" /P BUILTIN\Users:R "BUILTIN\Power Users:C" BUILTIN\Administrators:F "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F" "NT AUTHORITY\TERMINAL SERVER USER:C"

b. Try to install Internet Explorer 7 again. If the problem is not resolved, go to the next workaround method.

Back to the top

Method 4
Use this method if you receive an error message about the Cryptographic Services that resembles the following error message:
Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer
For more information about what to do if you receive this error message, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
822798 (http://support.micro....com/kb/822798/) You cannot install some updates or programs
If the problem still occurs after you follow the steps in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 822798, your installation package may be corrupted. To correct this problem, download Internet Explorer 7 again from the following Microsoft Web site:
http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkID=72018 (http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkID=72018)
Back to the top

Method 5
If none of the workarounds in this article have solved your problem, visit the following Internet Explorer 7 Support Web page:
http://www.microsoft...rt/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft...rt/default.mspx)
You can find additional information, bug reporting methods, and free phone support for Internet Explorer 7 by visiting this Support Web page.
Back to the top

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Windows Internet Explorer 7

Back to the top

Keywords: kbtshoot kbprb KB917925

Back to the top