Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Messed up XP - help before I call the Geek Squad

• Please log in to reply

kiminphilly

kiminphilly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All!

I have a Dell 4400 desktop that I purchased in 2002 that runs Windows XP.

The problems started when I kept being prompted to install the latest Flash Player 9 (thinking back on it it was most likely after I made some sort of Windows update). I had thought I had Flash but most websites would not operate and prompted me to install. Here is a list of what I did..

1) Downloaded Flash and tried to install - Progression bar was going and it looked like the install was working but at the end in the title bar it said "Unable to install"

2) Went to Adobe's website looking for problems and did exactly what they recommended: (1) Uninstall all versions of Flash - Flash did show up under Add/Remove Programs & (2) Go to the registry and Delete the folder called "SafeVersions" listed under Macromedia Flashplayer

3) Update explorer - I updated to IE 7

ALL of the above did not work

4) Damaged registry or incorrect permissions: I reluctantly edited the registry permssions. I opened the Advanced Security tab in the registry (forget the exact location) and noticed that there weren't any permissions at all so I added myself and another adult user. When I went to restart, nothing happened so I turned off the computer (which I'm fully regretting).

5) System hangs on the blue Windows XP screen when booting in regular mode and safe mode. Last Known Good Configuration won't work either

6) Someone suggested booting off the Windows XP cd to repair windows - System repair starts (looks like an install but I choose repair) and 10 minutes into it the system reboots and wants to start the install all over again. It is rebooting after it asks if the Language is set correctly (I hit next) and when it begins to tell you about the new web features XP has. Now it is stuck in a vicious circle of rebooting and looking for the Windows XP cd to continue w/ the install (repair).

I just checked Adobe's website again and they put a new fix up dated Dec. 27th. This probably could have helped but this was posted after I totally hosed my computer.
http://www.adobe.com...2ae#auto_update

Obviously I'm posting this from someone else's computer. I really hope someone can offer some good advice I can take home with me.

Thanks so much!
Kim

Edited by kiminphilly, 24 January 2007 - 09:57 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An outside chance is this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

If you were repairing XP like this

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Then this is another option if the PC has a floppy drive

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

kiminphilly

kiminphilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I will print this and take it home. I do have one small question - I think it will ask for an administrator's password and I don't have one. I am the admin for the computer and I've never set a password but I know when I tried to do something like that before it asked for one. I did read in the WinXP tutorial post that you just leave that blank when it asks? Let me know.

Thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you didn't set one then leave it blank and press enter

kiminphilly

kiminphilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I chose Safemode with a command prompt & received this message "Windows XP setup can not run under safemode. Setup will restart now."

How do I abort the XP reinstall repair process?

Everytime I reboot it wants to continue with reinstall repair. When the process starts my machine automatically reboots about 10 minutes into it & wants to start all over again.

Is ti possible that it isn't working because it is an SP1 disk and I perhaps have SP2? I don't remember which SP I have.

Thanks in advance.
Kim