Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Signing out Hotmail account causing a problem

• Please log in to reply

MomAries

MomAries

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi everyone,

first, I wanna say Thank You very much to the knowledgable people here who are solving my computer problem. Thanks guys! I am sure everybody here appreciate your help.

I have some strange problem. When I exit my hotmail account it messes up all the menus on the top and give me an error message: Internet Explorer encountered some problem and has to close ...". What is it? Why am I having this problem? How to fix it?? Very annoying!

Thanks in advance!!!

MomAries.

Edited by MomAries, 24 January 2007 - 12:13 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
First, thanks for the kind words of encouragement :whistling:

Please confirm the version of Internet Explorer (Help, About...).

Is that the only web page/program that generates that error? Exactly what do you do to generate that error. Please be as specific as possible about what you click, etc.

If possible, take a screen shot of the error and paste it in this thread. When the error is on screen and is the active Windows, press ALT + Print Screen (or PrtScn). This copies the active windows to the clipboard. Open Paint, press CTRL + V to paste in the latest image from the clipboard and save it as a JPG format.

Also, please check the Event Viewer for other Warnings or Errors that occurred at the same time as the error popped up onscreen. To get to the Event Viewer, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Services. On the left side of the screen are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for any events that are listed as Warnings or Errors, that also have a date and time that correspond to the error.

How long has this been a problem? Can you identify anything in particular that might have happened on your computer just prior? Have you tried to do a System Restore? To do a System Restore, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Does that fix the problem?

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Oy.. I posted my reply with the printouts, but I guess it never came thru ... :whistling: I will try again later ...

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi LindaGail, I am gonna try to post again with the attachments.

Ok, my Internet Explorer is vers. 7 - I recently upgraded it.
Here is my problem:
when I am done with hotmail I click on Sign out and ... basta... my computer is frozen and I get an error message (printscreen1).
printscreen1.jpg

When I open Event Viewer here is what I see ... (printscreen2).
printscreen2.jpg

<<<<Application Error>>>>.

(I also have a problem with Yahoo Messenger, but I will post a separate messege LLOL). I can't believe it, my computer is not old at all (bought it last year) and I have major problems with the programs. :whistling:

Thank you million times for your help. You help is invaluable.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Take a look at this article on IE 7. It gives some basic information and troubleshooting tips. Be sure to click the "Release Notes" link as it has some additional information and troubleshooting tips. Also be sure to try opening IE7 without add-ons. Does that fix the crashing problem?

If not, please go back to Event Viewer and click on one of the categories in the left side to show the list of events for that category. They should be listed in descending order by date/time. Refer back to Post #2.

Does IE7 crash on any other website?

Do you have antivirus and antispyware software installed?

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Take a look at this article on IE 7. It gives some basic information and troubleshooting tips. Be sure to click the "Release Notes" link as it has some additional information and troubleshooting tips. Also be sure to try opening IE7 without add-ons. Does that fix the crashing problem?

If not, please go back to Event Viewer and click on one of the categories in the left side to show the list of events for that category. They should be listed in descending order by date/time. Refer back to Post #2.

Does IE7 crash on any other website? Yahoo Messengers acts odd once in awhile, but mostly a problem with Hotmail ...
Do you have antivirus and antispyware software installed? Yes I do .

I will review the article you recommend ... :whistling:

Thanks so much ... Will let you know....

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Should I re-install MSN??

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Sounds like a good idea - probably should unisntall fully then reinstall.

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi again, I read the article several time, regarding running IE7 with no add-ons. As per illustration I don't have this option "with no add-ons". I don't know how to separate the add-ons and run one by one. I guess I am not that deep with the system.

Exact the same problem I have with Yahoo mail when I sign out.

I removed MSN folder (only, but did not download a new one, because I didn't find where from) . I reinstalled MSN Messenger 7.5. It didn't help. I am going to reinstall IE7, unless you tell me otherwise. I can not uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs because it's simply not there. Do I have to go to Program Files and wipe out from there??

I think I am stuck. :whistling:

I am editing my post because: I wanted to let you know that I decided to try Firefox and it seems like it solved Yahoo mail problem. But ... Hotmail always defaults to IE7, and I have no control. Here is what happens in Hotmail ... when I click on Signout button, it takes me to MSN homepage, then when I click on X or File Exit, then it freezes me and gives error message.

Edited by MomAries, 26 January 2007 - 10:44 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How to set Firefox as the default browser: http://www.mozilla.o...firefox/options

Uninstall IE 7: http://www.microsoft...rt/default.mspx. Open the second question, you'll see how to uninstall IE7.

If these don't help, please post back.

MomAries

MomAries

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I removed IE7, and use IE6. No more problems. After I read the article you posted I started thinking about getting rid of IE7. I had a computer technician for another reason, and he told me he himself don't use IE7 - not safe and too many bugs.

I am almost afraid to say my problems solved, and they are solved very much thanks to you help!!

Thanks a million!!!

Edited by MomAries, 26 January 2007 - 10:30 PM.