Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching Broadband Supplier

• Please log in to reply

RichardB1

RichardB1

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, but...I have decided to change ISP for my ADSL broadband and asked for cancellation and a MAC Code. The cancellation is in progress and upon chasing my current ISP for the MAC code I got this:

As you have requested the cancellation of the service, we are unable to request a MAC code on this line. The cease on the line you requested will close will stop the service completely, freeing your telephone line for a new service provider to set up a new connection. The cease will be completed on the 9th February 2007. If you wish a MAC code, to migrate to another provider then we will need to stop the current cancellation and request from BT that a MAC code be generated. If this is the case, please reply back stating you wish the cancellation to be stopped, and a MAC code be generated for this line.

Does this seem normal? Can I get a new ISP lined up to start on Feb 9th or are they going to need the MAC code? Bit confused, and not really sure what the precise need for a MAC code is now, given the above!

Thanks for any advice :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Maybe they are splitting hairs as it should be MAC Code then cancellation

http://www.broadband...ngeprovider.jsp

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
According to the way I am interpreting this, all you need to do is call your ISP, request a MAC code then you give the MAC code to the new provider then they will do all the cancellations and transfers for you.

1. Contact your current provider and request a MAC code to transfer – they may haggle with you to keep your business.
2. Remember, don’t cancel the old service.
3. Search for the best deal on broadband.co.uk
4. Sign up with a new provider and give them the MAC code during sign up.

That’s it! Your service should be transferred smoothly in a about a week or so.[/color]

RichardB1

RichardB1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks for your help guys...I've 'cancelled the cancellation' and requested a MAC code, so fingers crossed!