Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RESTORING/REFORMATTING LAPTOP. PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi
I have a Dell Inspiron 510m which uses Windows XP. I have had it for 2 years, done a lot of downloading in that time and until today had never once restored the system. I backed up all my work, rung Dell to ask advice, followed their instructions. It took 25 minutes for Dell to tell me how to do something that could have taken 2 minutes. Dont ever ring them unless you really have to.
Back to my point, so everything seems to goes smoothly for the system restore, except it now runs slower than it did before, i just dont get it. I removed all the pointless programs that come with it and the cpu runs at 100% for loads of the time. Over the day it has been updating itself and i have been restarting it so the updates take effect. It now seems to have completed updating, so it should run fine.
I can only think that I used to live with a geek and he used to tweak peoples computers so maybe he made it run faster than the original factory settings.
If anyone has had this problem and had it fixed then let me know. Or if anyone has any suggestions, I would be extremely grateful. Thanks
Jack

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
a good thing to practice is when you remove programs from add/remove programs

the next thing to do is go to program files from c:drive look for for program folders that you removed from add/remove programs and if you see any of then delete them also
its a good thing to run disk clean-up and defragment your disk download and run this nifty program you will gain space with it as well

http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

restart your computer...run you antivirus programs and spyware programs if you have any
this way when you do a system restore your not taking some nasties to your restore point you selected

at your restore point once its there run antivirus program again

hope that helps

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks, most of the programs i removed after the system restore have definitely been wiped off the system, but it still helped me. it now seems to be running more quickly than before, im just a bit baffled. thanks anyway

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
just alot of crap cluttering your disk

remember to defragment your disc

it also improves performance

DJHayden

DJHayden

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have no discs. Is there a way that I can reset to factory, a Dell Inspiron  with windows XP. I am dissabled and have no money, to take it in and pay to have it done.