Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a problem with the address bar.

• Please log in to reply

Xighar

Xighar

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Alright, everytime I type in things, some documents show up? This also happenes to certain links and my favorites. For example, the address to http://www.geekstogo...forum/index.php is stuck. I have removed history cookies, and temp files. When I look at the bar it's empty but when I type something like. .Doc one of my documents show up, What the...? Why is this happening and how do I get rid of it?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't quite understand exactly what's happening with your system. Is it only the Internet Explorer address bar where this odd thing is happening? It kind of sounds like Autocomplete. Look at this link. Does this look like what you've got?

If not, please provide as much detail as possible, including which programs are affected, where you're typing, etc.

Please post the results.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If this happens with Internet Explorer, its supposed to do that because of the way IE integrates with the operating system.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I don't quite understand exactly what's happening with your system. Is it only the Internet Explorer address bar where this odd thing is happening?

It's only one the IE, when I use my yahoo browser it's fine.

It kind of sounds like Autocomplete. Look at this link. Does this look like what you've got?

Kind of, except it's not on the green arrow, what I mean is when I press the green arrow it's empty. Though, when I press a certain letter for example I have a document called Something to declare.

I press s and it shows me somethingtodeclare.doc for example. This doesn't happen on every document. I type B for example and it shows me BMU.doc get it? This also happenes for certain links.

If not, please provide as much detail as possible, including which programs are affected, where you're typing, etc.

.Doc and if I type M it shows me the mycomputer and if I click on it my computer shows up. If I click on the document the document shows up.

Please post the results.

I tried the first one, it did nothing. I don't want autocomplete off, it's just annoying.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you look at that link? Is that what you're experiencing? If so, did you try the suggestions?

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I have tried the first one, I'll try the rest. No, this is not what it was.

I tried even regedit. nothing.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I also have cleared the autocomplete, still nothing.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Alright, now I have tried all of them.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
We need to delete a file called index.dat that holds all types of autocomplete information, but you can't delete the file while you're logged in with the same user account. So, log off of your Windows account and log in with another account. If you don't have another account, you can add one easily. Go to Control Panel, User Accounts. Be sure to put the new user in the Administrator security group. Then search for a file named index.dat under C:\documents and settings\YourNormalUserName\. Delete all that you find. Log off and back on to your account. Do you still have the issue?

If so :whistling: , please take a screen shot using the PrtScn button, and paste it into this thread so I can see exactly what's happening.

Edited by LindaGail, 25 January 2007 - 06:55 PM.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
C:\documents and settings\YourNormalUserName\something here???

I think you need to add one more slash, if I deleted everything in there something bad would happen.

Wait, how do I put the printed screen here? I took a shot, it's just that I do not have an image shack or a hosting site account.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I asked you to delete all instances of the file called index.dat.

For the screen shot, paste the image into Paint, save it as a JPG, then you can attach it to the thread.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
My paint doesn't work everytime I click it it says error then the send now thing shows up and on the MODname it saysmfc42u.dll There is something wrong with my paint.

Also, I found no index.dat

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You should have and index.dat file in C:\Documents and Settings\username\UserData and possibly C:\Documents and Settings\username\Cookies. When searching, be sure to choose "All Files and Folders" and the local disk C:\.

You can download the mfc42u.dll file at http://www.dll-files...es.shtml?mfc42u, or you can run System File Checker to extract one from your Windows CD.

To run System File Checker, put your Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive.
b]Start > Run > cmd[/b] then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you still can't get Paint to work, you can paste the screen shot into WordPad, save the file, and attach it to this thread.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Ok I went on another account and found an index but no index.dat IT WAS an Index and when I clicked on properties it was a dat file so that should be the right one.

Did that, nothing happened.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If it was located under a different user's folder, then no, it would have no affect on your account.