Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a problem with the address bar.

• Please log in to reply

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Sorry for the triple post, I didn't notice it. I hate when this [bleep] flood controll is on! My internet gets all weird and I can't post the pictures I want to show you!

When can I upload them?

Edited by Xighar, 31 January 2007 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Oh ****. I accesidently marked everything and it was deleted. THIS CAN'T BE GOOD.

WHAT DO I DO?

I just tried a restore and it doesn't seem to be able to restore anything! It's not working!!!!!

[bleep] you ccleaner...It automarks everything....Is there anything important I can delete?

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
What should I do? [bleep] this sucks.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Stay calm.

What did you delete? See the attached shot of CCleaner.

The Cleaner section only deletes files, not registry entries. The items in this section are fairly safe to delete. Plus the default setting for the registry is to prompt to make a backup of items being deleted. So if you backed up the registry items before deleting, all you have to do to restore them is browse to where you saved the .reg file, double-click it and allow it to be merged back into the registry.

What did you try to restore?

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Alright, what I deleted is everything you showed me in that picture. It was on accesident I didn't mean to.

I don't think I backed up the files...um..I was trying to do a system restore and everytime I try to do it. What it says is that it failed.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
As I stated, the files CCleaner finds and deletes from the Cleaner section are 99% okay to delete.

After rebooting the computer, do you still have the same issue? If so, I'm tapped.

Hopefully, someone else will see this thread and pick it up for you.

As for the System Restore, that is a problem. Look at this link for instructions for clearing restore points and setting a new one. Once you do this, set a new restore point, then immediately try to restore to that point.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Everything that is checked is what was deleted. I think at least SOME important files to me were deleted...This sucks, I can't even restore my computer for some reason.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
A System Restore would not have restored the files deleted by CCleaner. See this link for a good explanation of what System Restore will and will not restore.

Follow the instructions in the link I provided in Post #36 to reset your System Restore function. Be sure to test is as I suggested to ensure it starts working.

I'm curious... which category of files that CCleaner deleted do you consider important? Do you regularly backup your data and files, using Windows NT Backup (which is a part of Windows) or some other backup software?

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
After rebooting the computer, do you still have the same issue? If so, I'm tapped.

No

Any file types not monitored by System Restore like personal data files e.g. .doc, .jpg, .txt etc.

I think this. What exactly did it delete? Because I'm not sure. Can you give an explaintion on that?

Follow the instructions in the link I provided in Post #36 to reset your System Restore function. Be sure to test is as I suggested to ensure it starts working.

Is it normal for it not to restore? I'll try and do it.

Do you regularly backup your data and files, using Windows NT Backup (which is a part of Windows) or some other backup software?

I'm not sure. I don't think I use any backup software, nor do I intentially set up backup files.

Xighar

Xighar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Maybe it's not working because I'm low on memory??? Though there are 3 restore points, all not working.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

No

Well, that's one problem marked off our list! :whistling:

Any file types not monitored by System Restore like personal data files e.g. .doc, .jpg, .txt etc.

I think this. What exactly did it delete? Because I'm not sure. Can you give an explaintion on that?

Look again at the screen shot of CCleaner or open it on your computer. It shows the categories of files it deletes. They are all unnecessary files: IE history, cookies, temporary files, Windows Explorer most recently used lists, and from System, recycle bin, other temporary files, minidump files, etc. You shouldn't need any of these.

Is it normal for it not to restore? I'll try and do it.

I wouldn't say it's normal for System Restore to quit generating functional restore points, but I've seen it happen on several computers, including mine at the office. Following the instructions I posted to turn off System Restore and turn it back on. This will sort of "reset" it, remove all previous restore points, and it should start working again.

Do you regularly backup your data and files, using Windows NT Backup (which is a part of Windows) or some other backup software?

I'm not sure. I don't think I use any backup software, nor do I intentially set up backup files.

This should be a priority for. If nothing else, invest in an external harddrive and start taking backups using Windows Backup (Start, Accessories, System Tools, Backup).

Maybe it's not working because I'm low on memory??? Though there are 3 restore points, all not working.

Now, do you want to start working on the low memory message or would you rather start a new topic?