Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed Me Up!

• Please log in to reply

foxoff

foxoff

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hey there,

A friend of mine just bought the following system from HP and he says it is running slower than he wishes. I suggested he upgrade to a better graphics card (recommended the Nvidia 7900GS or 7900GT).

If you have some suggestions on how to pump this suckert up for about $120 or less I would really appreciate it.

HP DC7700

FORM FACTOR : Small Form Factor (SFF) PROC : Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2MB L2
MEM : 1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 Synch DRAM PC5300 (667-MHz), 4 DIMM Slots (2 free)
STORAGE : 80GB 7200 rpm Ultra SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive; 16X DVD +/- RW (LS/DL/DF) SATA Drive, No Floppy Drive
NTWK : Intel 82566DM Gigabit Enet
GRAPHICS : Intg Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000
AUDIO : Intg High Definition audio w/Realtek 2 channel ALC262 codec
PORTS :1x Parallel, 1 Std Serial, 8x USB 2.0 (2 Front, 6 Rear) AUDIO
PORTS : 2 Front (Mic & Headphone) & 2 Rear (audio In & audio out)
EXP SLOTS : 2x low-profile PCI slots, 1x low-profile PCI Express x1 slot
MULTI-BAY : Internal - 1x 3.5", External - 1x 3.5" & 1x 5.25"
DIM (HxWxD) : 100.3 x 337.8 x 378.5mm WEIGHT : 13.61kg
COL :Carbonite/Silver

Thanks! :whistling:
Fox

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
"Slower than he wishes" is a very subjective phrase. Everybody wishes that their system responded at the speed of thought. If he says that games are not running at the speed (FPS) that he desires, then yes, a new video card is the cure for what ales him. You really need to be more specific as to the issue, otherwise it's hard to diagnose the problem.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
He shouldnt have bought an HP desktop, from the info there i cant see how he could really upgrade he doesnt have a AGP or PCI-e x16 slot listed and the pci cards wouldnt really be an improvement.

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks guys. I realise the phrase was subjective and it's a case of garbage in garbage out with these things, but hey, with the minor detail I actually received, I can at least say I tried to help him (and "I told you so" after warning him not to buy the HP. Sure he'll love that!).

Fox