Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm an idiot; please help

• Please log in to reply

delaney

delaney

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok.

So. I had a folder on my desktop (work-stuff) which I decided, tonight, about an hour ago, that I should put into my Documents, as I wanted to clear off the screen. So, I drag-n-drop into Documents, but (and there's always bit in these stories, aren't there?) when I dumped the folder into the window, it turned into an alias of the folder I wanted to move and not the folder itself.

Weird.

I mouse over the alias and mean to drag it to the trash, my finger slips and I dump the alias on the desktop instead. And the folder I wanted to move has now been replaced by the alias -- something I don't understand, as I didn't ok an overwrite. But the folder is GONE, vanished, disappered in the ether!

So. I need to find a way to get this folder back and for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere. It's work stuff, client info that I need...actually for tomorrow and I'm more or less screwed without it. Please (please) tell I haven't deleted it (nothing's in the trash) and please (please) let me know how I can get it back!

Thanks so much!

By the by, I have a macbook, runing on osx

Advertisements

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
Hi delaney,

I am not sure if this will help you, it should if you have deleted the folder. You can try to recover deleted files with this program http://www.recuva.com/ which is free to download, but it is still in BETA version. I hope it will help you.

EDIT:

System requirements

- Microsoft Windows XP, 2000 (testing not complete on other OS versions)
- 128MB RAM

Regards,

Edited by SNOWHITE, 25 January 2007 - 12:44 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

1 - click on start.
2 - click search.
3 - in the left pane click on all files and folders.
4 - in the search pane type the name of the folder
5 - press the search button

cheers...xxx1

thought it was xp.

Edited by xxx1, 25 January 2007 - 01:01 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Just a gentle reminder to look at what the users os is....

Operating System:
OSX