Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp oem or retail?

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi i just wana know what is the difference between windows xp home oem and windows xp retail?and which would be the better option?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The retail one is a 'proper' Microsoft CD in a fancy box which you are free to install on a single PC which you may have been given or bought second hand. The licence allows you to transfer the CD to another system box provided the current has been scrapped, though this will involve a phone call to Microsoft to explain the situation.

The OEM version is supplied normally only to system builders who also have to buy a hard drive or something similar at the same time to qualify for it's lower price compared to retail. That's no big deal since if your building a PC you'll need to buy other parts at the same time anyway. It's supplied only in a sleeve or jewel-case. No box like the retail version. The OEM licence does not allow you to install it on a different PC when the current one is scrapped. Effectively, both PC and CD die together.

Best option? OEM is cheaper and some stores don't even insist you buy a piece of hardware with it (wrong, but they still do it). Even if they do insist, a spare hard disk is no bad thing. Both OEM and retail will install exactly the same setup of Windows on your PC, only the licence and packaging are different as explained above. Me? -- I'd get the OEM if you reckon the recipient PC won't need to be scrapped for a few more years. If it's on its 'last legs' though and you think it may have to be 'retired' sometime soon, I'd play safe and stump up the extra cash for the retail one.

If you do buy OEM, confirm that the product key is supplied at time of purchase. With a retail boxed version it's always printed on the certificate inside the shrink-wrapped box and consequently it's never missing. Without a box that's less certain.

Edited by pip22, 25 January 2007 - 03:48 AM.

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Thanks for that!