Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Outlook Errors

• Please log in to reply

PeterS

PeterS

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi,
I have recently installed Microsft Outlook 2003 and have constant "receive" problems. I had Outlook 2000 and had no such problems and I have absolutely no problems when I am forced to use Outlook Express. The message I get is:

Task 'mail.aapt.net.au - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have checked with the provider and there is nothing wrong.
This problem appears to be intermittent as I can sometimes get mail and mostly I can't.
I have downloaded all of the new Microsoft upgrades including the Outlook service pack 2 (or3), but no luck.
I only run AVG free now and have tried disabling the email scanner but still problems.
Can anybody help please?
Regards and thank you,
Pete

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Take a look at Microsoft article 813514 that deals with several errors, includeing the time out error (0x8004210A).

You've already done some of these, so browse through the article and try those things you haven't done yet, especially Method 7 - Create new mail profile, and Additional Information/Outlook 2003 - increase server timeout.

Please post the results, good or bad.

PeterS

PeterS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Linda,
thanks for your help.
None of the fixes in that link worked.
However, I totally uninstalled Zone Alarm - instead of merely deactivating it -and then went through the registry and deleted any reference to it, then reinstalled Outlook and it all works well.
Thanks again and keep up the good work,
Pete

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're working :whistling: