Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOW ON VIRTUAL MEMORY... WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

• Please log in to reply

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi
i have restored my dell insiron 510m, i asked dell for the exact procedure, but it seems to be worse than before. it doesnt make sense. i removed all the pointless programs that come with it, double checked they were properly removed.
yesterday i got a pop up saying i was low on virtual memory and windows would rectify the problem. it doesnt seem to have made things better. what is virtual memory? i have a 33GB hardrive with 29GB of free space, so i know it doesnt refer to that. I havent downloaded anything yet either. Would improving virtual memory improve the running speed of the laptop. IF anyone knows how to do this then please let me know it would be a massive help. Sometimes the cpu of the bloody thing will be at 100% for ages, so if anyone knows where i might be going wrong........
thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

ctrl alt delete

what processes are using the most memory

================================
start>>run>>type in msconfig>>start-up tab

disable any non essential programs

click ok restart your computer

but not your antivirus programs or your internet security

Edited by rushin1nd, 25 January 2007 - 08:54 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Check out this other G2G thread that answers some questions about Virtual Memory: http://www.geekstogo...=Virtual memory

Basically, you've got physical memory (the actual RAM in your computer) and virtual memory (a portion of the hard drive that Windows snags whenever it runs low on physical memory).

If you have any other questions or need additional assistance, please post back.

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for all your help so far, although i dont think the problem lies with the virtual memory. something is just making it run really slow and i dont really know too much about computing so i cant put my finger on it. i had a look at the processes when the cpu was at 100% and most of it was being taken up by something called dumprexe. sometimes there are 3 versions of this each using 30%, and other times the majority is just going through once version of it. i presume dumprexe is just something trying to close the programs down when they stop responding???
i was advised to remove some of the unnecessary processes through the task manager. However, most of the processes are in a code form im not familiar with. If anyone think that this may be problem and knows what codes i would be able to remove then please let me know.
the problem seems to be when i have a few windows open at once or when i load my download program, soul seek. until i do something that requires a few tasks at once it just doesnt seem to handle it. These were never problems before i restored the system
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
thank you

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
something is making my dell inspirion 510m run really slow and i dont really know too much about computing so i cant put my finger on it. i had a look at the processes when the cpu was at 100% and most of it was being taken up by something called dumprexe. sometimes there are 3 versions of this each using 30%, and other times the majority is just going through once version of it. i presume dumprexe is just something trying to close the programs down when they stop responding???
i was advised to remove some of the unnecessary processes through the task manager. However, i dont know what processes are absolutely essential and what i can disable. If anyone think that this may be problem and knows what processes i would be able to disable then please let me know.
the problem seems to be that sometimes when i have a few windows open at once or when i load my download program, soul seek. when i do something that requires a few tasks at once it just doesnt seem to handle it. These were never problems before i restored the system
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
thank you

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

do you see this at start-up

dumprexe....or anything similar like this

if you do then you should be able to disable it

in msconfig

ive asked some desenette to put some input to your post

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

answers that work can give you a good idea about those running processes.
- http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm

cheers...xxx1

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
im not sure if i spelt dumprexe correctly, the most frustrating part is it only appears when i try to close programs that arent responding then it disappears from the cpu process list, so i never got the chance to write it down. now my laptop is running fine with a healthy cpu of about 10%. its just so incostistent it will probably go west again soon. i cant access my download program soulseek, it just keeps saying the internet must be down even though that is not the problem.
xxx1, the tasklist seems very useful but i cant find the link regarding running processes, do u know where abouts it is.
after a system restore, is it normally a good idea to disable processes and has anyone else had the problem i have, of restoring a laptop to find the system slower than before.
thanks for all your help
jack

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
oh yeh and i dont see the dumprexe at the start up, i dont really recognise any of the processes to their programs, thanks again

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
for further dumprep.exe errors read this here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899870

try this also - Used in connection with memory dumps - you can disable these by - right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties and then the Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button in 'Startup and Recovery'. In the bottom pane - under 'Write debugging information' - click on the down arrow and then select 'None' - OK your way out

1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click the Startup tab.
do you see it in the startup list, if you do uncheck it, and then Restart the computer.

Edited by xxx1, 25 January 2007 - 03:55 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To help us figure out what needs to be done, please provide the following information:

1. Please list the process name exactly as it appears and I'll check into what it is

2. How much RAM do you have and what is the processor speed (right click My Computer, Properties - both should be shown on the General Tab under "Computer" )

3. What size is the Page File (right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, Performance Settings button, Advanced tab, bottom of that screen under Virtual Memory)

4. What kind of "restore" did you do?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
is your soulseek a file sharing program ?.

if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
jackpreacher,

Please don't start a new topic on the same issue. I merged these two together :blink:

Thanks,

:whistling:

Excal

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello (sorry about earlier)

I have checked the list of process names with a useful website that tells you what processes you should expect and not expect to find. The link is below
http://www.answersth...es/tasklist.htm
There are a few processes running on my laptop that could not be found on the website which are:
mantispm.exe
1XConfig.exe
isafe.exe
ApntEX.exe

Since restoring my laptop I have installed soulseek (filesharing), vlc media player, firefox, zonealarm and winamp.

When i looked into the processor speed and RAM it said:
processor 1.40 GHz
341 MHZ, 256 RAM

The page file is 381MB

As for the restore, I called Dell and was told to press ctrl and F11 at the startup. I got to a screen, and I think it was quite straightforward from there. Im pretty sure I just pressed restore and it took about 5 minutes. I didnt use a CD. Hope this info is ok for you. Thanks so much for your help
Jack

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
There are a few processes running on my laptop that could not be found on the website which are:
mantispm.exe
1XConfig.exe
isafe.exe
ApntEX.exe

i googled them they seem okay.