Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cmos battery help please on HP Pavilion zx5000 series laptop

• Please log in to reply

ukt

ukt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have motherboard out and power socket replacement with panel mount dc socket wired to +,- holes.
(hurray... never ever again will I have problem with that darn power socket)

Then I see what appears to be cmos battery and [of course] after the hair raising [for me at least] extraction of mobo and power socket replacement, seems best to source new cmos battery [IF needed]
Here is picture and at top it's got two tabs which are soldered to mobo.
Posted Image
I cannot source any info on this. HP manuals/site no help. Perhaps on this model is not replaceable?
Not understand what to do or where to source if need to replace.
No battery specs or partno. so over to you people if possible :whistling:

Thanks

another problem:
Another issue is one usb socket abused so much by previous owner that has been pushed back inwards enough to snap 2 of 4 pins at back and few legs on the side.
I purchased usb socket which thought would be ok, but is deeper than those on the board so if put on would project out too far and not allow case refitting [unless I cut material away] Man what a botch that would look like and I not really know if will work after butchering job done...

Maybe someone knows where to source correct sized usb socket for zx5000 series :blink:

OR....... perhaps better to just juse usb hub if desparate for more usb sockets?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The battery should just slide out from under the steel clip. Make a note of which way up it is (ie whether neg or pos is face down) before removing. When removed there will be a ref number and voltage on the pos side. It's not specially made for the laptop, just a button battery same as used in many other electronic devices. If the ref number proves to be problem in sourcing an equivalent from another brand, just find one same size and same voltage (very important) and it will work okay.
However, in my experience having to fit new cmos battery is a very rare event. I've never had to do it in 14 years of owning several laptops, current one is 5 years old.

Edited by pip22, 26 January 2007 - 03:39 AM.

ukt

ukt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The battery does not slide. See that rectangular tab with oval depression and those two darker dots?
They seem to be spot welds. That tab is the -ve and the +ve tab is underneath [sod's law].
The outer ring is sort of soft as a fingernail impression was left when I was manhandling it. The ring is a very soft yellow/milk colour.
The voltage reads 3.02vDC. Perhaps this is OK?

Only way to investigate further is to unsolder and if it is a special type fitting/battery then more hassle...
Since your advice/experiences regards lifespan suggest not an issue, I'd be better off just getting this thing back together!

What gets me is lack of specific tech specs at board level. HP must know that some items [may] need replacement.

Hey anyway, I am indebted to you friend. I'll just take a raincheck on this one.

Cheers

Edited by ukt, 26 January 2007 - 04:39 AM.