Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should I bother with IE7?

• Please log in to reply

TinaSC

TinaSC

• Pip
  • 2 posts
From what I'm reading on the posts, it doesn't look like IE7 is a good choice. I haven't seen anything really positive about it yet, but my boss thinks it's better than IE6 & wants it on our computers here. What should I do?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Internet Explorer 7 is a significant upgrade in terms of security (which is a good idea from a company's point of view) but it runs the risk of breaking some existing software (which may be bad news depending on what the company is running).

Therefore you should do lots of testing first with your critical applications, printers and what not on a non-critical machine before you deploy it across every machine in the company.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed...i thoroughly enjoy IE7 and think it works great...but i'm not about to roll it out to all the computers on my network here at work (mainly because i don't want to have to "train" people...but also for the reasons mentioned by neil)...the only issue i've had with IE7 so far has been loging into my PIX firewall...it's just not compatilbe with ie7...i found the "User Agent String Utility" (not sure where) that allows you to run IE7 in such a way that it tricks the other end (device/website/etc..) into thinking you're running IE6...if i use that...i can connect to my pix with no problems.

ppalmer10

ppalmer10

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have also installed User Agent String Utility. But now my title bar reads "Windows Internet Explorer emulating version 6.0" Shouldn't I be able to turn this utility on and off? If so, I must have been out sick that day because I don't know how. Could you enlighten me? Thanks.