Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access SOME web sites and email

• Please log in to reply

steverino1997a

steverino1997a

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello. This problem is fixed, but I don't know how and I'm very confused, and being a wanna-be-geek, would love to have an idea what happened. Up until yesterday morning everything worked fine. Then without changing anything program or update related, I was only able to access about 60% of web sites and only 2 of my 4 email accounts. Some of the web sites would load very slow and others not at all. My 1st call was to my companies IT dept to see if it was a problem on their end, due to their web site and email was not accessible. They checked everything on their end and said all was fine. The had me run a command tracert, and said the problem was with my local ISP as connection was timing out. My next call was to my local ISP. After a LONG time on the phone running ping and tracert tests, turning off firewall and virus program, etc., I still had the same problem with the same sites. By the way, there are 3 hardwired and 1 wireless computers on this little network. All had same problem. So the ISP tech (I had been transferred to a more senior tech at this point) had me bypass the router and go directly from modem to pc. Everything worked great. All sites and email accessible, and very fast. They asked me to run a speed test, which showed both up and down speeds faster than what I'm supposed to be getting. After getting off the phone, I put the router back in the loop, and still same problem. I could unhook router and have full and complete access, and plug in router and have very limited access. So I called Linksys and after a very long time on hold ended up with a tech that actually seemed concerned. She had me do the same things such as tracert and ping tests, turn off firewall and virus program, update the firmware, did a hard reset of the modem and then put the security settings and such back in. All to no avail. She gave me authorization to do a warranty exchange on the router, but said she didn't believe it was the routers fault - but everything pointed to it as everything worked perfect when router bypassed. Before I called it quits for the night, I bypassed router one more time and all worked, and then put router back in the loop and had same problem. I was all set to go buy a new router this morning, and after being on the inet about 5 minutes, everything starting working great as it did before this little glitch started. For no reason and again with no changes. Sorry for the long winded post, but wanted to try to get as much info in as possible. If you have any ideas where the problem actually was or what it could be, I'd love to know in the event this happens again Thanks for your time! Steve

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Steve,

The Internet is not perfect. Occasionally things just don't work. It sounds like there might have been an issue with the DNS look up. DNS (Domain Name Server) is what translates google.com into 216.239.51.104. It happens that on occasion when servers are updated or the server has a hiccup.

There is also the possibility that a portion of the net was messed up.

IF the traceroute and pings were able to resolve the DNS then it was probably just a fluke in the Internet.

steverino1997a

steverino1997a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks very much for the reply! Everyone that I spoke with yesterday in the different technical support departments put the blame on someone else. Glad it all resolved itself though........

Thanks again,

Steve