Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu squealing

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
There is a noise when the computer starts up that comes from the cpu. It's not the fan because I have switched out fans and the noise is still there. The noise will stop for a moment when i move the cpu around. The computer will not boot all the way up either. I have tried switching out cpu as well. It's an AMD Athlon 900 MHZ Socket A(462) CPU Thunderbird.

Thanks ahead,
Adam.

Advertisements

DybbukAtroxic

DybbukAtroxic

• Pip
  • 8 posts
ok if you've tried more than one cpu and it still does it then it sounds to me that there is something wrong with the socket itself or more importantly the motherboard. I'm not sure exactly what would cause something like that especially from a mobo but never know...I'd suggest taking it to a tech shop so they can run tests on your mobo.

Or replace the MoBo itself...

Edited by RottNKorpse, 25 January 2007 - 03:16 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The last time i had a very similar problem the motherboard has a short in it somewhere. The only option was to replce the MB. I have seen this once before in a motherboard that the memory had gone bad on it. Replacing the memory on that one fixed it.

SRX660