Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CDs\DVDs spin at full speed when idle

• Please log in to reply

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi, I have recently noticed that when I read any optical disk (DVD or CD) using my Plextor 755A, it spins up to full speed, and then stays at full speed permanently, even after I have stopped reading anything from the disk. The only way to stop the drive is to eject the disk. Why is it doing this?
Thanks

Edited by tomdrayson, 25 January 2007 - 04:09 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi temdravson!

There could possibly be something wrong with the driver for your Plextor drive. Lets have you try uninstalling your plextor drive and let Windows reinstall it. To do that, please do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • In the new window that appears, click on the + symbol next to DVD/CD-Rom drives.
  • Locate your Plextor drive and right-click on it and choose Uninstall. (Clicking yes to any warning windows that pop up.
  • Reboot your machine.
  • One it is rebooted, Windows will automatically detect and install the drivers for your Plextor drive.
  • Once that is finished, reboot your machine once again.
  • Once it has rebooted, put a CD/DVD in the drive and see if the problem is now fixed.
Fenor

tomdrayson

tomdrayson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Thanks Fenor, that seems to have worked.
The drive is now almost silent when reading any disk, whereas it was very loud before. Presumably this means it is spinning slower, but it seems to be reading data just as fast..... How strange.

Anyway, thanks again

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad that solved it for ya! :whistling:

Fenor