Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Change DPI Setting results in error

• Please log in to reply

Bellanera

Bellanera

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am trying to set my DPI back to normal size of 96 and get an error that I may not have the required Administrator privileges to install drivers or files.....

I am running XP professional and do have admin rights (or at least did).
Any help would be appreciated.
:whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Let's confirm your user account's security group. Click Start, Run.., and type in control userpasswords2. This should bring up the User Accounts box. Find your account in the list. Is it still in the Administrator group?

Bellanera

Bellanera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, it is.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you have another user account set up in the Administrator group that you could use to log in and try to change the setting? It may be that your user profile has gotten corrupt. You can easily add another user. Go to Control Panel, User Accounts.

Bellanera

Bellanera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried that yesterday with no success.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you tried a System Restore to set your computer back to a day before you changed the settings?

Has anything odd happened with your computer that might account for this weirdness?

You could try SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

==============

Bellanera

Bellanera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried adding another admin user again and no luck.
I can't remember when I changed the settings or I would have tried a restore sooner.

Nothing odd has happened that I can recall. Computes are just odd at times!!!

I am going to try the SFC. Will post back when done.

Thank you...

Bellanera

Bellanera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I give up for tonight!!!

Ran SFC and it did not change anything.

Then I decided to try a restore. Picked 3 or 4 different dates and each time it told me that it could not restore to that date.
:whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Check your display driver in Device Manager. To get there, right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Look under Display Adapters. Do you see your graphics card? Does it have a yellow ? or ! over it?

If it have a yellow symbol on it, then we'll need to reinstall the drivers. Right click the graphics card, choose Update Driver.

If it looks fine in Device Manager, try uninstalling it. Right click the card, choose Uninstall. Reboot. Windows should find the drivers and reinstall it. It would be a good idea to get the driver CD in front of you, just in case Windows has trouble find the drivers. Another option is going to the graphics card manufacturer website or your computer manufacturer website and downloading the current drivers.

Bellanera

Bellanera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My device manager was fine. But I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver anyway. I also tried to change the settings in Safe Mode. None of the above has solved my problem. I do have a workaround as I downloaded the ATI Catalyst Control Center which takes care of my video display. But, still would like to solve the problem.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm glad you found a work-around.

You could do a "repair" install of Windows. You won't lose any data or files, but you would need to reinstall other software and all Windows Updates. If you want to try that route, post back and I'll provide instructions.