Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with centering.

• Please log in to reply

Misthios

Misthios

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
i made this site for a friends company. its a template from my hosting company theylet me use and i edited the html a litte from whati know .

i cant get it to center with the <div> tages when i try it goes all wack. andi dont wanna use <center> commands as those dont seem to work all the time. any help i would appreciate a lot. i need to know specificly were and what command to post.

ty all

here is the site .... http://www.SynapseEI.com/

Edited by Misthios, 25 January 2007 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You can't center that site as it is. The reason is your using position:absolute this prevents them being moved to the center no matter what you do.

Your going to really need to redo the whole page if you want to center it, and put things where they are supposed to be, and not force them there with position:absolut

Try having a wrapper div, and in this that four others, header, menu, content and footer you have really made things a lot more complicated than they need to be.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
something else I noticed, why would you put a style tag in place for that image when you call for a external style sheet?

Is this external style sheet even being used? if not get rid of this line
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">

another thing you want to look at also, if you are using an external style sheet then you don't want to put a style in the HTML code for the page. For all intents and purposes that HTML code as you have it is completely unusable.

if you want to use styles, then put all your div info in between the <head>and</head> tags or as a external style sheet, which it appears this template is designed to do. Don't put your style info in the div tags, this makes it harder to code the page.

Edited by Dragon, 25 January 2007 - 11:51 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
*Michael agrees ^^

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
And just to add one more thing, I would suggest NOT putting any of the stylesheet information in the actual HTML document. The reason being is that it defeats one of the main purposes of using a stylesheet: to cut down on the amount of code in each page.

Another benefit is you don't have to constantly change every single page on your site because your stylesheet is located in one file. Change the stylesheet and you are done.

External is the way to go.