Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Clean Install Issue

• Please log in to reply

comradebillyboy

comradebillyboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am looking at doing a clean install of vista home premium or ultimate on a new hard drive. I have found plenty of good information on transferring files from my old drive to the new one. I undestand I will have to reinstall all my programs.

I have a number of programs that were downloaded direclt from the internet on the old hd, like norton anti virus and some dvd copying software and similar programs. It is not clear to me how best to get these programs to my new hard drive, without re purchasing them.

Any suggestions on how I might go about this as efficiently as possible?

Edited by comradebillyboy, 25 January 2007 - 08:27 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Unfortunately, you'll probably have to repurchase them. The version of antivirus you have will not likely work with Vista (I don't know of any XP versions that will). There are a couple possibilities. You could search your hard drive to see if you still have the installation file for those programs, or login to the site(s) and see if you're still able to download the latest version.