Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thread Stuck in Device Driver! PC Crash!

• Please log in to reply

darlabbq

darlabbq

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I am at the end of the rope guessing what is wrong with my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. It is an August 2005 laptop.

I am surfing on the net or just basically using the computer, no high graphic games or anything and I will all of a sudden get a blue screen saying beginning physical memory dump. When it restarts on its own it says "The system has recovered from a serious error" - It wants to send error report and to see what it says click here= Here is what it says Error Signature-- BCCode: 1000007f BCP1: 00000008 BCP2: 80042000 BCP3:00000000 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

Internet Explorer then starts up a page that says-

Follow these steps to solve the problem with a device driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Troubleshooting is available that might help you solve the problem

Troubleshooting

Depending on which situation is applicable to you, do one of the following:

* If this problem occurred after you installed a new hardware device on your computer, the problem might be caused by the device driver. Use the Dell Driver Reset Tool or uninstall the driver.

How to disable or uninstall a device driver

Note: This may cause hardware devices to stop functioning.
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. If you are using Classic View, click Switch to Category View.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
3. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
4. Click the plus sign (+) next to the faulting device. You should now see the device listed.
5. Right-click the device, and then click Disable or Uninstall.

Alternate Steps
1. Click Start, and then click Search.
2. Choose All files and folders, and then type the driver name in the All or part of the file name field.
3. Click Search.
4. When the file appears in the results, right-click the file and click Rename.
5. Rename the file (for example, filename.old). Remember the file name so you can enable it later if you need to.
* If this problem occurred after you installed new software, the software might have installed a driver that caused the problem. Try uninstalling the software.

How do I uninstall a program in Windows XP?
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Click Change or Remove Programs, and then click the program you want to change or remove. Click the appropriate button:
o To change a program, click Change/Remove or Change.
o To remove a program, click Change/Remove or Remove.

Warning

When you click Change or Remove, some programs may be removed without prompting you further.

Note: Add or Remove Programs will only remove programs that were written for Windows operating systems. For other programs, check the documentation that came with the program to see if other files (such as .ini files) should be removed.
* If you don't know the specific driver or software, try performing a System Restore.
* Go online and check for updated drivers on the Microsoft Update website.
* For information about your support options, go online to the Support.Dell.Com website.

I followed the steps and I upgraded my ATI Mobility Radeon X300.

When that didn't work I found this page on Dells website

http://support.dell....o...;l=en&s=gen

So I upgraded my Bios. I would have done the further troubleshooting it mentioned below, but it didn't have options for my computer. Does anybody have any ideas? It isn't fun to have your pc crash every 10 minutes. I am lucky to be able to type this.

Edited by darlabbq, 25 January 2007 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hi there.

Did you turn off automatic restart?

darlabbq

darlabbq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Would that help? It would still go off though wouldn't it?

I did go to the display properties and lowered the graphics driver to just basic functions. It didn't help though.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
welcome to geekstogo.

an error message(bsod) tells one what the error is, whereas auto reboot doesn't,
therefore it's best to turn off auto reboot

turn off auto reboot:

runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r button

- paste this in slot: sysdm.cpl @0,3
- press: enter
- find in blue: startup and recovery
( just above the line: system startup, system failure, and debugging infomation)
- click button: settings
- unclick box: automatically restart

once done
the error message can be understood here
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres what i found on your error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error Message:
STOP: 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Translation:
This is a STOP error that pertains specifically to an NVIDIA video card. It shows up if you are using the Nv4.sys video driver to support the NVIDIA card.

Solution:
Getting an updated driver from the NVIDIA site (www.nvidia.com) will extract the string and let your video device work properly.

The driver will be either a self-installing executable (EXE) file or a compressed file that you need to decompress with a utility into a temporary folder. We recommend creating a temporary folder on your Desktop (or elsewhere) that you can use for this process and any future temporary extractions. Also, save and close any open documents or programs before installing any drivers.

If you’re dealing with a compressed file, decompress it first, and then open the Start menu and click Control Panel, Performance And Maintenance, and System (if your Control Panel displays as a submenu, just double-click System). Choose the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button, double-click the Display Adapters branch, right-click your particular display adapter, and click Properties. Choose the Driver tab and click Update Driver. Follow the process to update your driver and reboot your computer if necessary.

If the driver update you downloaded is an executable file, double-click it and follow the prompts to install your drivers.

If the error occurs even after updating your driver, turn off and unplug your computer, disconnect all the peripherals from your computer, touch something metal outside of your computer case (to discharge static electricity), and remove the case lid. Next, disconnect any cables attached to your video card from the outside of the case and carefully remove your video card. Reseat the card firmly back in its slot, put the case lid back on, reattach all the cables, and boot your computer.

If you’re still receiving the error, it’s possible that your video card will never operate properly with WinXP because of compatibility problems, even if the card is listed as compatible with WinXP. While this situation is rare, hardware flaws or damage will cause a video card to work improperly in any OS (operating system).

To work around this error, open the Start menu and click Control Panel, Appearance And Themes, and Display (if your Control Panel displays as a submenu, just double-click Display). Choose the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then choose the Troubleshoot tab. Slide the Hardware Acceleration bar to None, and then deselect the Enable Write Combining checkbox. Click OK, then click OK again. This will result in a loss of functionality and performance, especially in 3-D-accelerated games and photo manipulation programs. However, if you’ve updated the driver and checked the hardware, you might be stuck with decreased output if you want stability with your current video card.

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

darlabbq

darlabbq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks to both fleamailman and rushin1nd. I will be doing both of those things as soon as I get back to my computer (which I left at school this weekend due to jury duty tomorrow in my hometown). I expect to be able to get out of it due to having 2 tests this week, but will be happy to help them out after I graduate in MAY!

I hope this fixes the problem. I did upgrade the driver on the Windows site, but maybe the other one is better! Thanks. I will let you know my results tomorrow night!

darlabbq

darlabbq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
What a delay in replying I have. I followed the instructions for turning off the automatic restart, and also the write combing box is unchecked. Even more, I have the acceleration speed at the lowest setting for display. I am checking NVIDIA for an updated driver, but this pc has restarted still today a total of 10 times with the same error message as above.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
If you have an ATI video card then you don't need NIVIDIA drivers. The problem is most probably due to getting the ATI graphics drivers through Windows Update. NEVER download drivers from Windows Update. Get the drivers from the manufacturer of your hardware.

darlabbq

darlabbq

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I checked NVIDIA and found out that it didn't really match my system, so I went to ATI Radeon and downloaded an update. We will see if that works for now.