Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Noob Needs Advice

• Please log in to reply

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I want to sell a harddrive but, i want to make sure no one can recover any of my personal files, images, ect or anything else on it, how can permantly destroy all the existing data on it?

so that it can never be recovered by anyone ever? and are they any good free programs out there that can do this?

thanks in advance for any help,

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Here are 2 free programs used to security wipe the drive.

Kill Disk
Eraser 5.7

cheers...xxx1

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hey thanks alot mate, is there anything i should know before doing this?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Not really... as long as you recovered your files, it is not a problem. The best part is when you install 2k or xp, the setup makes the partition for you. back on 95/98/me, you had to boot with a floppy and go to fdisk to formatt and create it. 2000 and XP it does it for you.

No worries.

HTH