Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall Turns Off On It's Own

• Please log in to reply

zmaster

zmaster

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Randomly while using my computer I notice that my Firewall will turn off (usually between 2 and 8 seconds) then turn back on.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can fix this problem?

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I was working on a pc with XP awhile back and XP's firewall wouldn't stay up. I swept for virus's, trojans, spyware, you name it. There was nothing I could do to keep that firewall up. I finally installed ZoneAlarm and the problem was solved.

You could try running system restore. Just pick a point before the problem started.

edit....looking at your post again. I'm wondering if you have a virus/trojan that is turning the firewall off temporarily to send something out on the Internet. You could download ZoneAlarm onto a flash drive from a friends pc, copy it to your desktop and install it. Then update your anti-virus program and run it. Which one are you using? Having used SpySweeper for a few years I also recomend it...

Edited by macten, 25 January 2007 - 10:58 PM.

zmaster

zmaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, I am running spyhunter right now and may have found some things that are causing the problem, if it persists I'll try zonealarm. I use avast for my virus scanner cuase it's free, how much is spysweeper?. I'll post back if the problem is still happening by tomorrow. Thanks.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Avast is a good product. I've been using it for years. The latest version did lock up my pc the other day. That has never happened before. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I think SpySweeper is $29.95. I use it and it's worth it....

You can also get a free trial of Trojan Hunter.....

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I believe you can use the 'trial' version for 30 days:
http://www.webroot.c...b289b32d092fa7f