Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek High Definition Sound card problems

• Please log in to reply

jenva

jenva

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I recently bought a new pc with a Realtek sound card, but after a few days it suddenly stopped working. I immediately got my geek 14 year old son onto the case, but after 2 days, he had no luck. He told me that Windows isn't recognizing the sound card, and that he doesn't know how to set it to a default sound card. I can get sound on Windows Media Player, and thats about it, none of the system sounds, browser sounds, or any other sounds work. Can someone give me an idea on what to do? (He also said that the Sound Card is listed in Device Manager, under its default location; Sound, Video and game controllers)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jenva...

First, let's look at the system default settings.

To check the XP sound settings in Control Panel.
  • Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.
  • Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.
  • Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your Realtek sound device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.
  • Under the "Voice" tab, make sure your Realtek sound device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.
  • Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".
  • Click "Apply" and then "Ok".
Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot...Sound?

wannabe1

jenva

jenva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That doesn't make any sense to me, ill get my son to write from here onwards.

Thats not the problem, I have tried EVERYTHING , even with default devices selected, it doesn't work, its not listed under anything, windows doesn't recognize it, all I can select is Modem Emulation line #1 and I know that doesn't play sounds. Un-installing and re-installing doesn't work, the only spot I can find it is in the device manager list. Its Windows Media Centre 2005 by the way, and the volume on that is always on 0, even turning up the volume, but it plays sounds, music, tv, video. Its the windows platform that doesn't work...(Ive tried all the troubleshooters just for the heck of it)

Edited by jenva, 26 January 2007 - 09:47 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried to o a system restore to a time it was working

jenva

jenva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
rushin1nd ....I COULD KISS YOU!!!!!
Thanks for that very simple suggestion of yours, it worked, I now have sound back in my browsers etc. :whistling: :blink: :help: :) :rofl: :rofl: :help: :lol: