Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown file appeared

• Please log in to reply

fledgling

fledgling

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi.
My laptop hd is partioned in half to create C & D drives at 50 gigs each. I never use the D drive.
While doing some maintenance & cleanup of the C drive, I noticed that the D drive had data on it.
Another recycle bin had been created on it and sytem restore points were on it. In addition, the following named file appears: msxmlr-KB927978-enu.log
I deleted everything out of the recycle bin, shut off system restore, rebooted, and put back system restore.
My questions are: can I delete the file that appeared and since I never assign anything to the D drive, how did this happen? Why do I have 2 recycle bins and why are the restore points going to the D drive?
I have scanned repeatedly with Norton, Avg, Panda, Kapersky, Superantispyware, Ad-Aware SE and have come up clean.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
kb927978-enu.log was probably created when you installed IE7 or got created when a microsoft update installer fails to clean itself from a computer after the update is completed. So delete the folder, restart the computer.

As far as System Restore Points on the D drive, left click on My Computer, select Properties, select System Restore tab.

Select D drive, click "Settings", check "Turn off System Restore on this drive".

The recycle bin has got me baffled.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a microsoft update that updates your XML core services. It puts a log file on the second drive in case any program needs to know how updated your XML servies is. It is safe to delete it as long as you dont install any XML run programs on that drive. There are programs that use XML extensively now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

SRX660

fledgling

fledgling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks Kniht & SRX660.
I will clean up that drive & turn off the System Restore.
I still use IE6; never downloaded IE7.
Still a mystery how these got pointed to that drive thoough

Thanks again.