Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office update

• Please log in to reply

peakie22

peakie22

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry if this longwinded but I hope it’s clear.

We acquired a pc from a relative who died suddenly. The pc was fine other than it hadn’t had updates done for some time and we couldn’t find any disks for the MS Office that was installed (I’m happy it’s a genuine copy as the pc and software were originally supplied by the Local Authority under an equipment for disabled students scheme - UK scheme). I spoke to MS and they provided replacement disks.

I have done all the updates other than one for Office, which demands the installation disks but then fails as it can’t find a specific file (STDRET.MSI) on the disk. My thought is that MS have provided the wrong version of Office. As best I can tell, it’s Office 2002 on the pc and the update says it’s looking for Office XP Standard whereas the disks say they are Office XP Professional. Is my best option therefore to uninstall what’s there then do a clean install from the new disks?

As I don’t have the original disks, I would have to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs – that lists “MS Office 2000 Disc 2”, “MS Office XP Media Content” and “MS Office XP Standard”. Do I uninstall all three and if so in what order?

Thanks

Bryan

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It won't matter which order you uninstall those. And just FYI... Office 2002 and Office XP are the same thing :whistling:

I'm not sure what was installed under Office 2000 Disc 2 - probably Photo Editor. If you choose that from Add/Remove Programs, and then click Change, you should be able to find out exactly what was installed. I do believe Photo Editor is on the XP CD as well.

However, I have some concerns about the license key when you install the new set.

1. Do you have a license key for MS Office? If so, it may not work with the CDs Microsoft sent. Be sure to call Microsoft licensing and ask (I'm not sure a license for "Standard" edition will work for "Professional" Edition)

2. Did Microsoft ship you a license key with the MS Office CDs they sent? If so, be sure to use this license key when you install.

peakie22

peakie22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the tips. Will see how it goes.

Peakie22