Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer switches off when loading XP

• Please log in to reply

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello.
My friend has a serious problem, in that when she switches her computer on it boots up fine, then when loading up the all the files and other various objects the computer switches off, completely switches off, not even a blue screen. Then automatically, it will restart then go through the same process.
This does not happen when in safe mode. I have tried it twice and it ran as expected. BUT, now for some reason i cant get it into safe made. The screen stops in DOS for several minutes or hours pending how long it is left.

Could this be a program fault. The Computer was taken to a shop who immediately blamed the power supply and replaced it. when the computer was brought back to her place there was no change.
I dont believe that it was a power problem myself, but think that it is a program error.

I can not do anything with her computer at this time, and i can not post from it as it will just switch off.

Many thanks
Shaun.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There are two things you can try here. One, try hitting the F8 as fast and as many times as possible while the computer is starting up. This will get you to a prompt where you should be able to pick "SAFE MODE" and boot up the computer without loading any drivers. If it does boot up you now know that a driver is the cause of the problem. You can go looking to find the problem while in safe mode.

Second, if the safe mode thing does not work you can try getting into the BIOS by hitting the delete key( most computers) rapidly while the computer is booting up. This should get you into the BIOS where you can change the boot order to boot from the cdrom drive first and save the changes to the BIOS( usually F10) then typing a "Y" and clicking the enter key or clicking with the mouse. You can then open the cdrom drive, insert the Windows Operating system CD and let the computer boot off the cd. If it does boot off the cd you will need to do a repair install on the computer.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

If neither of these things work you have a hardware problem you need to look into. The computer is either overheating badly or the memory, graphics card, Hard Drive, or motherboard has gone bad and i start checking things in the order i put them in. Although i have seen some dead AMD cpu's that is usually caused by pure negligence on whoever is putting the computer together. You need to find what hardware is causing the problem.

SRX660

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Many thanks for that. I have tried the safe mode and it hs given me two options of windows to open, I am slightly dismaid, as there are two copies of windows xp on the system. 1. the original which is licenced, and the 2nd which i have been reliably informed by the owner of the computer, was put on at the repair shop. I am dismaid as there was no need to place a second copy on the system, even i know that much, and i dont work in a flaming shop.

Anyway. back to the important part. I will try the drivers and hardware problem solving. I did not mention that her system is over 3 years old now, and could be an age thingy.

many thanks i will try it and report back to you

Shaun

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello again mate.
Just to let you know i havent dad the chance to do them things so please keep my topic open for a little while loger

stillbaddad

stillbaddad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok did all that and managed to get safe mode back.
The computer now starts and the unusual thing is that it is still turning itself off and on at will, ut i have noticed that after its starts on about 4 5th occasion then it stay stable for about 30 mins, no longer than that mind you. then it goes off without warning.

I checked the HDD, and changed it with a spare that i have and fitted it, and the same thing happens. Do you think this is a motherboard problem, or processor prob.

The whole thing has me heed bashed in.

Many thanks

Shaun :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you get a chance try downloading speedfan onto the computer and run it. Check the temps it is getting while the computer is running and also check the voltages that will be at the bottom of the page. If you are getting temps higher than 55° or have low voltage on the 12 volt line it can cause shutdowns. The voltage should at least be at 11.8 or higher, over 12 volts is the norm.

Heres my athlon 2400 speedfan readings.

Posted Image

These are the normal readings i get.

SRX660