Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

which socket? and such! hello all you also!

• Please log in to reply

spikey666

spikey666

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hey hey you lot, nice looking forum...and full of the people i need to chat with! brilliant!
my question is about intel v AMD value and performance!

as ive understood, AMD were allways the budget choice...offering some quite decent CPU's for the money spent, well up to the K7's anyhow......and intel were more the performance choice...but you really did have to spend the extra on them, so , i was allways using AMD, but now im not as sure.
i am looking to build a new machine, most of the parts will be brand new, new MB, ram, HD, GFX, case, and cooling, also i was looking at dual core, actually, dual core and DDR2 are essential really, but here is the snag....i cannot spend more than £100 at a time, im going to do it over 4/6 weeks in parts do any of you wise people have any ideas for me or examples?

oh i forgot to add this part, im not a serious gamer, i would like a fairly nice graphics card so i can actually play new games but it doesnt need to be 3000 frames a second at 1800 x whatever resolution lol, all i need is more system power, as much power as i can get ....for the money, i can push £110 for a processor.....and a motherboard , so thats not a lot really...but its all i can do ATM

this is my pc as it is now

budget case with budget 400wPSU
ASrock K8 upgrade NF3 - mboard
Sempron 3100+ cpu SKT754
1.5 G of generic pc3200 ram
1x seagate barracuda 7200.09 IDE 250g HD
1x AGP nvidia fx 6200 128mb (asus brand i think i forget lol)
1x 19inch TFT (low end - octigen brand does well)
1x NEC dvd rw- +
no case fans, no neon bits, no cooling at all actually but the cpu temp is never over 43c
**need total new system almost and im in the market now!!**

non computer related stuff --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

secondly hello to all, thank you if you have gotten this far reading this, and my name is karl! i have also an interest in herpetology (taken frm the greek world for "crawl") ie i research look after and will be breeding reptiles, also i have a new found passion for photography which i think was started because of one lucky picture i took of my python regius - royal (ball) python!
also OBVIOSLY i like my computers, and they are allways great i like the new problems you get lol trying to make a new machiine that is totally different to the last one you built, at the end being "YES i have done it....muahahhaha lol" and all problems are just an oppertunity for success ....or whatever the saying is

thats about it, my introduction / question, thank you all!

Edited by spikey666, 26 January 2007 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
£110 isn't much for a mobo and CPU pretty tight, you can just squeeze an AM2 based AMD system that would stand you in good stead for upgrading at least if you can go to £140-150 you can get a dual core 3800+ which is pretty good, for around yor budget can get you AM2 with a 3500+ Athlon 64, you wont manage anything in the Intel variety that will be any better. Thing is with AM2 then youll need new memory to use AM2 or newer Intel sockets and something pci-e in the graphics department to use your current memory you would need a socket 939 system which wouldn't give you as good in terms of upgrade ability and the parts will be a little harder to get.

Also your PSU and cooling will need improved before you can put anything more powerful in there. To be honest it would cost you more in the long run best thing to do is wait till you have more money and do it properly trying to upgrade that system would be flogging a dead horse so to speak it would be more cost effective to wait till you can upgrade the whole system as any upgrade will be putting strain on the PSU that it might not handle.

spikey666

spikey666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the whole kit and kaboodle will be replaced, this old 400w power supply...would choke up with something like a dual core 3800 AMD cpu lol! thank you for the advice.....AM2 only used ddr2? thats why il need new memory? well i will be buying new ram...this pc3200 value stuff has had its day, i think maybe you may have got my prices mixed up? i meant i cant spend a lot over 100 in one shot, but every week i can get a part....each bit i can fork 100 - 120 out at a time lol, a mobo this week, cpu next week, both ram chips week after, 250gig sata drive and heatsinks fans, then all the rest....
the only corner i will be cutting is i will be having this hd in the new machine, as storage, not the drive with operating system, and i will be using this dvdrw drive, and thats about all!
thanks for your answer

i think tough i will maybe up the limit on the cpu and mobo a little.......as much as poss

Edited by spikey666, 27 January 2007 - 11:11 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you can afford 100 - 120 a week i would put that in the bank and buy everything at once the computer market can change so fast to buy a piece at a time isnt something i would recommend, you can buy some things, PSU,case, monitor, peripherals and drives are pretty safe but Mobo, cpu, gfx and memory you want to buy all at the same time as late as you can to take advantage of anything new that comes out and the natural price drops.

spikey666

spikey666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes...i was thinking about that, even the order of buying...as in this week i go for my mboard...at the end in 6 weeks...i could look and see a supirior product at the price...nice advice, thank you advice heavily noted lol :whistling: :blink:

prephirals...or like you said case PSU monitor speakers ect, the ones i have now are fine..(apart from case and psu lol) as they are all recent buys saving started allready...and if im "ballsy" i could look a little higher, im not trying to be flash but im not joking now lol! ive had enough "not so good" machines! ty

Edited by spikey666, 29 January 2007 - 02:03 PM.