Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes after boot up

• Please log in to reply

sunship

sunship

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I am new to this site and I am in need of help. If someone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. My computer freezes up after boot up. It will not allow me to do anything. Sometimes, even cntl-alt-del will not even work.

I am successful in booting up in safe mode. I am going to attempt to connect to the internet through "Safe Mode with Networking".

Where should I go from here? Does it sound like something in my start-up items? Should I use hijackthis and compare it to BleepingComputers start up database, and then turn off questionable items?

Any help is great. Thanks in advance.

-Sunship

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi sunship...

Let's start by disabling all the startup items in msconfig and re-enabling them one at a time.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Click the "Startup" tab and then on the "Disable All" button. Apply the change and reboot. Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog...this is normal...tick the bos to not show it again. Run the machine for a bit...does the computer still freeze?

wannabe1

sunship

sunship

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Wannabee,

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it. I think I see where you are going. I had to download MSCONFIG (since Windows 2000 doesn't have it). I saw about 20 programs running at startup. I turned them all off like you said. Then I turned on each one (one at a time) and rebooted after turning each one on (so I rebooted 20 times). I made it all the way to end with everything turned on and the computer seems to be fine.

I wonder why. I thought for sure it would crash at some point. Actually I guess I should plug in my hardware ( I had disconnected everything thinking it could be a hardware issue).

Any thoughts? Thanks again. I am up and running.

Sunship

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry about the msconfig. I sometimes forget 2000 doesn't have it...I'll usually include a link to the download.

This process will change some of the memory addresses for start programs...sometimes it works like a charm...sometimes not. Let's hope it's the former... :whistling:

Let me know if you run into more problems.

sunship

sunship

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Great. Thank you so much. I learned a lot.
Thank You.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're quite welcome... :whistling: