Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install windows.

• Please log in to reply

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Alright so my computer is giving me problems this morning. No longer will it boot, just gets to the page with Windows XP and a loading bar, then flashes a blue screen and reboots. So I decided to boot from the Windows XP disc and try the recovery console or if necessary a repair installation. But ever time I select either, I get a message that gives a stop 0x00000024 error. It suggests running CHKDSK which is what I wanted to do in the first place, but I get that message when selecting system recovery or install windows. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

heres some further info on your error here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912848

cheers...xxx1

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

hi,

heres some further info on your error here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912848

cheers...xxx1

Thanks but that stuff is for Windows 2003.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
is that the whole error, stop 0x00000024 if there is more it would help.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
heres something on your stop error

also have you tried in getting safemode as so as you turn computer it on tap F8

you will get a list of commands try choosing last good configuration

or safe mode with net working

or just safemode

=================================================

Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Possible Resolutions:

Malfunctioning SCSI and Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) hardware or drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, causing errors. If using SCSI hard disks, check for cabling and termination problems between the SCSI controller and the disks. Periodically check Event Viewer for error messages related to SCSI or FASTFAT in the System log or Autochk in the Application log.
Verify that the tools you use to continually monitor your system, such as virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenters are compatible with Windows XP. Some disks and adapters come packaged with diagnostic software that you can use to run hardware tests.
To test hard disk or volume integrity

Method 1:

In the Run dialog box, in the Open box type:
cmd

Start the Chkdsk tool, which detects and attempts to resolve file system structural corruption. At the command prompt type:
chkdsk drive: /f

Method 2:

Double-click My Computer, and then select the hard disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
Click the Tools tab.
In the Error-checking box, click Check Now.
In Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box. You can also select the Automatically fix file system errors check box.
If the volume you are checking is in use, a message asks whether you want to delay disk error checking until the next time you restart your computer. After you restart, disk error checking runs and the volume chosen is not available to run other tasks during this process. If you cannot restart the computer due to the error, use safe mode or Recovery Console.

If you are not using the NTFS file system, and the system partition is formatted with the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file system, long file name (LFN) information can be lost if hard disk tools are started from an MS-DOS command prompt. A command prompt appears when using a startup floppy disk or when using the command prompt startup option on multiple boot systems that use FAT16 or FAT32 partitions with Microsoft® Windows® 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Microsoft® Windows® 98, or Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition (Me) installed. Do not use tools meant for other operating systems on Windows XP partitions!

Nonpaged pool memory might be depleted, which can cause the system to stop. You can resolve this situation by adding more RAM, which increases the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.
Microsoft KB articles:

Edited by rushin1nd, 26 January 2007 - 06:07 PM.

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I can't boot in safe mode, Every time I press F8 I get only the options to boot from HD, Floppy Disc, and CD Drive.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried tapping F1 and choose to boot from the xp cd

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

have you tried tapping F1 and choose to boot from the xp cd

Yea and the I try recover console and the other option but it gives me a blue screen.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Im not sure if it does any good but have you removed your harddrive and try it on another computer
This is one of more serious errors ill search around ill suggest this in the future

run check disk from time to time it repairs those bad sectors and at least your doing preventive maintenance that would lead to this sort stop error

on the blue screen does it do a physical memory dump

who knows maybe it will start long enough after its finish dumping

if that happens by chance

my computer
cdrive
properties
tools
check now
check both boxes
start
then restart

blue screens are killers and merciless

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
well I managed to get into recovery console via floppy disks and stuff. Anyways, tried to do CHKDSK /r but it stopped at 51% saying there were one or more items that couldn't be fixed. Also, when I try to boot up normally now, it says Boot Failure: System Halted

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
will this help you

http://global.cyclad...aqs1.php?nid=79

http://www.pcguide.c...s/booterr-i.htm

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry Rushin1ind, neither of those links contain the error I am getting. I tried to do a repair install but when it boots up to finish installation it still can't get there because it says "Boot Failure: System Halted"

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/18933

check that site out

maybe you got battery problem itssomething look into

the battery may have had an effect on the boot-up

did you also try ctrl-alt-delete to reboot

Edited by rushin1nd, 27 January 2007 - 11:46 PM.

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/18933

check that site out

maybe you got battery problem itssomething look into

the battery may have had an effect on the boot-up

did you also try ctrl-alt-delete to reboot

Yea I've tried ctrl-alt-delete but it doesn't work, also that page has turned up in my results. The battery doesn't really seem to be the problem. Also I've tried playing around with the BIOS but that doesn't seem to change much. Most of the resutls I've read people are saying how it won't detect their HDD as well, but mine is detected just fine. I succesfully ran CHKDSK /r too but no luck.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you try this program and see if you get to your programs and save anything
this is just a precaution if your computer wont boot-up
not sure if it will work but you can give it a try

http://www.knopper.n...s/index-en.html

heres an excerpt from that last website i posted for you

IshmaelGraves was referring to Knoppix which is a Linux "Live CD". This is a type of operating system which can be booted from CD - so you can get your computer up and running even if your HD is hosed.

It isn't too technically tricky - if you feel like tackling it yourself:

1) Download a Knoppix disc image from here.
2) Burn image to a CD using software like Nero
3) Put CD in drive, start up computer. If you get a message telling you to "press any key to boot from CD", do so.
4) Once Knoppix has loaded, you will be able to access your hard drive. Copy any important photos, music and documents onto CD.

It won't fix the problem but it will at least:
i) tell you if your HD is screwed
ii) let you get the important stuff off there and backed up

dont think i can be of any help you
but im sure a moderator can be more of assistance

good luck