Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

God I hate computers (right now)

• Please log in to reply

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
When i put a disk in my computer, it won't play the disk, it sounds like it starts spinning then nothing, under task manager it detects a disk drive but i cant get it to work, i tried to unstall it but i dont really know what im doing i think i made it worse....how can i find out if its a hardware or software problem? maybe the lens is dirty or something......i have no idea but i kinda really needed to run some disks right now.....

thank you this much-->

<---for anyone who can offer some help......I need it....

Edited by Insane Guy X, 26 January 2007 - 05:33 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you try several different CDs? With a CD in the drive, right click the Start button, Explore. On the left side, find the CD drive and click it. It should then show the contents of the disk in the right side of the screen. Do you see anything there or do you get an error message? If error message, please provide the error text.

To check the drive status in Device Manager, right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Open the category called DVD/CD-ROM drives (or similar). Do you see your drive listed? Does it have a yellow ? or ! over it?

If so, try to update the drivers. Right click the drive, choose Update Driver. You may need to have the driver disk available (either the disk that came with the drive specifically or the disk that came with the computer).

If the drive is okay, try to uninstall it. Right click the drive, choose Uninstall. Reboot. Windows should reinstall it. Again, you may need the driver disk available in case Windows can't find the drivers. If you don't have a disk with the drivers, you can find the latest drivers at the CD Drive manufacturer website or your computer manufacturer website.

Please post the results.

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i dont see the drive under the list, but im not exactly sure what it would be called, when i go under device manager under disk drives i see toshiba mk1031gas (name of drive i guess) IS THIS MY HARDDRIVE?
WHAT IS A DVD PLAYER DRIVE CALLED? ITS NOT A CALLED A DISK DRIVE IS IT? im confused i dont see any drive other than that one so maybe its not being Picked up.

I have a

-application and driver revcovery dvd, and some other restore disks that came with the computer, but when i put the disk in nohting happens.....so how would i run it??

(sorry for being so ignorant, but i can follow instuctions pretty well.....)

Edited by Insane Guy X, 26 January 2007 - 06:21 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
In Device Manager, there are many categories of hardware for your system. Be sure you look for a category called CD-ROM, DVD/CD-ROM, or something similar. Your CD drive will not be listed the Disk Drive category. I'm attaching a shot of my Device Manager for your reference.
[attachment=12811:attachment]

You're right - if your CD drive doesn't read, you can use it to install anything. So you'll have to rely on downloading the drivers if Windows can't find them.

How long has your CD drive not worked? Have you tried a System Restore to a day prior?

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
>.< sorry dp

Edited by Insane Guy X, 26 January 2007 - 06:37 PM.

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
im not sure how long, it may have not been working for a great while, since i havent been using the computer much except to browse the internet lately, i would have to estimate a couple months at most, how would i use system restore? (i dont care how far back i have anything i need on my computer backed up.)

I dont see any drive being picked up like you have, so i'm pretty sure its not beiong read.....hmm would i be able to remove it then put it back in to see it it helps? i know my hardrive and battery are easy to remove

Edited by Insane Guy X, 26 January 2007 - 06:39 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To do a System Restore, click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose Restore my computer, then on the next screen choose a date. Be sure to have all programs closed, as the system will reboot.

Before trying that, let's check the registry for a couple of filters that might prevent Windows from seeing the drive.
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Reboot. Does Windows want to install the drive now?

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok sorry, i Understand what you said to do (and did it)

but i figured out i never uninstalled it, i thought i did but i didnt, i actually never even saw it in the device manager list,

so how would i uninstall it/install if i cant view it?

when i deleted what you said and rebooted nothing happen, and here is where i am.......i just want to find out if its broken hardware or not, that way i can find out it will be able to read a disk ever again with out being replaced/fixed....(i appreciate this help more than you will ever know.....)

Edited by Insane Guy X, 26 January 2007 - 07:40 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you install the drive yourself?

Has the drive ever worked?

Is this a desktop or laptop?

What make/model is the computer?

Is you system under warranty?

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
1) heck no, lol......but i re-formated the pc once thats it

2) yes it had worked, i cant remember the last time i used it but it was a while ago....maybe 1month maybe 3months maybe less maybe longer i cant really remeber no matter how hard i try, sorry

3) Its a laptop unfortunalty

4) hp pavilion dv4000

(sorry if its wrong IT WAS ON THE STICKER ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PC) im no pro with computers, i dont know alot of basic stuff, i mostly just use software-music, games and stuff, but computers are really interesting to me (hardware and software) i just suck at them)

5) Warrenty no, it was one year and i know its over by now....i cant remeber when i go it.....but its was the end of 2005 i think....

Edited by Insane Guy X, 26 January 2007 - 08:08 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
We need to confirm whether the CD ROM shows up in BIOS. When you reboot the computer and the very first Windows screen shows up, does it show which key to press to enter Setup? It may be ESC, F1, F2, DEL, or a combination of Ctrl-Alt-ESC.

Once in BIOS, look for Secondary Drive or go to Boot Sequence and see if the CD-ROM is listed as a choice.

Is it there?

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
sorry i took so long to reply, i have many unwanted problems at this point in time......how yourstill gonna reply anyway,
im not sure what you mean but when i hit esc

i got a menu that had numbers 1-4 and one of them said: cd-

i cant remeber but it was af--something i think

when i hit f10 i got a bios menu but i didnt see anything about with cd in the basic interface(s) of the options they give you,

i dont really know what to look for though, or the difference between the bios and boot sequence, but im guessing that f10 leads to the boot sequence and esc leads to the bios???? (total guess)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
From what you've described it looks like ESC takes you to the boot menu. This isn't really what I was shooting for.

F10 appears to have been the key to get you into BIOS. This is the Basic Input Output System for the computer. It tells all the different components how to interact. In BIOS, you should see Primary Drive (which will be your IDE hard drive) and Secondary Drive (which should be your CD-ROM drive). If your CD drive doesn't show up as a device in BIOS, then most likely the device has died.

Insane Guy X

Insane Guy X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
sorry for asking, but i see

-main -security advanced -tools

where would it be, im not sure what im looking for exactly, where would the drives be under main? if its main i dont know, i see too many different things to be sure whats what without more instructions on what it would say, would i actually see the letters dvd-drive?? or anything similar?

Edited by Insane Guy X, 28 January 2007 - 12:05 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What you're looking for is "Primary Drive" and "Secondary Drive". In my BIOS, my CD-ROM drive is shown as "Secondary Drive: CD-ROM Reader". If you don't see the drives list on the Main screen, check Advanced or possibly Tools.