Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD problem

• Please log in to reply

jorge33

jorge33

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
(If anybody feels this thread should be placed anywhere else in the sight they mya feel free to move it if they have the authoritative powers)

I have been building a new computer over the last month and after many problems have been solved I have run into what will hopefully be the last one. I started installation of Windows XP home and my harddrive was not detected so it would not continue installation. My hdd is a Samsung HD400LJ, and my MoBo is a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4.
http://www.samsung.c...ies_HD400LJ.asp
http://www.gigabyte....e=GA-M55SLI-S4#

I've already tried downloading the software off of Samsung's website, put into a floppy with dos, then running dos and opening their support program for my hdd and it isn't being recognized. I've also tried this with their more or less generic hardware utility, and I've tried both of these with all possible jumper settings (including none).

thanks

Advertisements

§triker

§triker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I had that problem a while back. When i formatted my primary drive,it didnt recognize the other one. I visited many forums and one person suggested using Partition Magic to repair the partition on the drive that the comp didn't recognize. I tried it and it worked!! Hope that helps.

jorge33

jorge33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think we may be looking at different situations here, correct me if I'm wrong, but my computer isn't recognizing what is to be my primary drive. Is partition magic dos and small enough for a floppy?

§triker

§triker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi
Partition Magic is bought on CD rom or available for download. I forget the website and who makes it, but you can google it. I also recommend visiting computer chat rooms for help, i've gotten good help that way in the past too.

jorge33

jorge33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks I will definitely look into that.
If anybody else knows more about it, or has anymore suggestions or solutions that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really hoping that I don't have to RMA this, that'd be the second defect this project.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
While installing Windows, did you hit F6 to install a driver for a third party scsi or raid driver (includes SATA), and then load the SATA drivers for the motherboard from a floppy disk? Windows XP does not have built in support for SATA, so you have to give it the driver before Windows will be able to see the drive and install.

jorge33

jorge33

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I tried that, and sine the hdd I bought was OEM from samsung I went to their website, downloaded the software off the product page, put it on a floppy, and a dos floppy, then inserted it after pressing f6 at that point and it gave me a message similiar to "could not find file xxxxxxx.oem"

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
No, you don't need drivers for the hard drive, you need drivers for the motherboard, specifically the SATA controller. These would have come with the motherboard, and will be available for download from the motherboard manufacturer's website.