Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Fan

• Please log in to reply

Antiquesfreak

Antiquesfreak

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Everyone,
Recently the fan on my computer won't stop running unless I turn my computer off, shutting everything down. This was one reason I called and had the warranty people out here. They fixed (Replaced) other things and just cleaned the fan. Told me that running just means it's doing it's job. It didn't used to do this, however I have recently connected with DSL. Could this be the reason? Really confused here. The machine does not seem to be heating up. Any suggestions or answers would be greatlyappreciated. :whistling:
The Antiquesfreak

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What kind of computer do you have? Do you have it sitting by a heater vent? How fast is the fan running, is it loud enough to be really annoying?

Antiquesfreak

Antiquesfreak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,
My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1020NX. Purchased in 04'. No it isn't near any kind of register. The fan seems to me to be running at a pretty fast steady speed. It is annoying I think only because it has never run steady like this before. Is not horribly loud, but you sure know it's there. Will say seems to sound like it is running smoothly. Has been 3 days since they worked on it and the only time it has stopped was when I shut the computer completely down. They tell me it's just doing it's job. But if this is not normal, I want them to fix it before my warranty expires. Thanks for any opinion you can give.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The power supply, processor, and graphics card fan (if any) should always be running. If they stop, something in your computer fries.

Antiquesfreak

Antiquesfreak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank You! I feel quite relieved. And do believe, this could all have been because I had a faulty power supply. That was also replaced. And that's probably why I wasn't hearing the fan before. No wonder they wouldn't put my computer back together, until they had the new parts! LOL! Can You Folks Tell, I'm "Tecnology Challenged"?
Appreciate the help!! :whistling: