Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WoW TBC installation error

• Please log in to reply

Tondalo

Tondalo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
While I have posted this on the WoW forums as well, and though I from those forums have gathered that I am not alone in having this problem, it seems rare enough to be a system error rather than specific to WoW.

My problem is, as I insert the first TBC installation CD and the installer is supposed to start up, I get the following error message very shortly afterwards:

"Sorry, the installer was unable to start up. You may be out of hard drive space"

Needless to say, I have plenty disc space on both my drives.

I tried the original WoW CDs as well, with the same result. I then inserted Half Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 and thought they did not get the same error message, they also failed to start up, which leads me to believe something about my computer is severely off. I have tried everything suggested from Blizzards own people, but most people have different problems than me, and those that have the same are not answered.

I noticed there was a post like mine here already, having the same problem, but in rummaging through the forums I think I saw something about not adding own problems to existing topics but rather create own, so I did.

My computer specs:

Windows_____________________________Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer______________________6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM)________________________1024 MB
CPU_________________________________AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+
CPU Speed___________________________2207,4 MHz
Sound card___________________________Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters______________________RADEON 9800 PRO | RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution_____________________1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network Adapters_____________________ Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport | NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives______________________D: ATAPI DVD-ROM 16X | H: Generic DVD-ROM
COM Ports___________________________COM1
LPT Ports____________________________LPT1
Mouse_______________________________8 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks___________________________C: 38,3GB | E: 111,8GB
Hard Disks - Free_____________________ C: 13,7GB | E: 19,8GB
USB Controllers_______________________3 host controllers.
Firewire (1394)________________________1 host controllers.
Manufacturer_________________________Phoenix Technologies, LTD
AC Power Status______________________OnLine
BIOS Info____________________________ATAT COMPATIBLE 112204 Nvidia 42302e31
Time Zone___________________________W. Europe Standard Time
Battery______________________________No Battery
Motherboard__________________________MS-7025

Advertisements

Tondalo

Tondalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Update: I burned down an image of the first CD onto my computer and ran it using Daemon Tools. Now I get a new kind of error message whether I run from the CD or the Image:

Posted Image

EDIT: It seems I only get this new error if I have the image loaded into daemon tools.

Edited by Tondalo, 27 January 2007 - 09:34 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
- Some users are having trouble installing the game with Daemon Tools installed. If you have this software installed, try disabling it (unmount CD images or setting virtual CDs to 0) or uninstall it to see if the installation goes through.

- Some users have had their installers gray out as they insert a CD. It may mean that the computer isn't making the CD available after the change. Try copying all of the CD installer files to a folder locally so that you won't need to switch CDs. Note that some of the files may be hidden. If you want to enable hidden files, go to your Control Panel and double-click the Folder Options icon. Click on View, then bubble in "Show hidden files and folders". Hit Apply.

Try making a new folder on your desktop and open up Windows Explorer. Go to the first game CD and copy every folder and files to the new folder. Once that's done, insert the second CD and copy the Installer Tome 2.mpq file there. Copy the Installer Tome files from the other CDs to that new folder. Once all of the CDs are copied, go to the new folder and run the Installer.

Tondalo

Tondalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply, but as I said in my post, I have tried everything Blizzard suggests on their forums, but their solutions do not match my problem.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
removed daemon tools completly from your system. reboot and then copy the cd to the hard drive and run the install from there.

Tondalo

Tondalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Mmmkay, deleted D-tools from my computer, rebooted, copied files onto my computer and tried again. Same old error. I have heard people mumbling bad things abour D-tools before, what's wrong with it?

Tondalo

Tondalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I fixed it myself. If anyone else happens to have this problem, try the following:

The common factor, it seemed, of people who had this problem, was that they had WoW installed on a different hard drive than their system (windows) one. So, I removed the storage disc, and just put the dvd rom and the windows hard drive on IDE-1. I again set the environmental variables to the system disc, and suddenly, lo and behold, it worked.

Thanks for the replies, and I hope this will help others with the same problem.