Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tried to re-install xp to fix a problem

• Please log in to reply

billyboy920

billyboy920

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
My computer was locking up on me. I tried several fixes, including doing a registry cleanup with software from a sponsor on this site. All to no avail. I could manage to get started up and relatively stable in safe mode. So I cleverly decided to try to reinstall windows to see if that would help my problem. So I put in my xp disc and started a reinstall. All went well until the install program needed to re boot. Wow I could boot again without locking up. But I would get a message telling me loading would continue and the machine re-booted.

I managed to get to a screen that asked if
1 I would like to start the installation from scratch
2 continue the installation
3 exit

I tried all three options and still ended up back at the continual reboot. I canno0t get out of this loop. Obviously this message comes from another computer. This pattern kept repeating over and over. I could not figure how to get back to safe mode either. :whistling: :blink: :help:

help, what can I do?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Are you trying to clean install?

billyboy920

billyboy920

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Are you trying to clean install?

no, because that will wipe my hard drive, I think. At this point I think I am out of luck. I should have asked for help before I started fumbling around.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Would you like to attempt a repair install

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I know this question may seem odd but did you remove the XP CD after you did the install? If not this could account for the loop. If you did a install you have probably lost all of your data anyways. An install is a destructive process. If you did a true install an allowed XP to format your drive you have lost all of your data, and settings.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would try doing a parallel installation to at least allow you to boot up your computer and backup the data you need and then do a complete format and install of XP. Just want to point out, that what you tried to do ended up deleting the Windows Folder on your computer, but all the other problem are still there and hence you are unable to properly install Windows.

------------------------------------------------

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

------------------------------------------------

Fenor

billyboy920

billyboy920

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
q.Would you like to attempt a repair install

yes

q. did you remove the XP CD after you did the install

the install never completed because my machine went into the loop described earlier

q. I would try doing a parallel installation to at least allow you to boot up your computer and backup the data you need and then do a complete format and install of XP

I will try this

thanks and I will report back on progress

billyboy920

billyboy920

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK Fenor, I completed the parallel installation as you suggested. I then came back to the original problem that I started with, my computer locked up in normal mode, either in the boot up process or shortly after windows starts. I restarted in safe mode. I was able to locate the key files I wanted to save and move them to my new partition.

What I haven't located yet are my outlook e-mil settings and files, and my firefox settings.

I can only work in safe mode. The IT guy where I work tells me its likely a software conflict. Since I can work in safe mode and access files etc, I presume the problems are not related to any of my other hardware, but are confined to whats on the hard drive. Is this a correct assumption?

I have ordered a new hard drive and a brand new copy of vista ultimate from newegg. I will transfer my important documents and music files from the old hd to the new hd. I will then reformat the old hd (wipe it clean and reinstall xp ) and use it for back up storage. I will still have to reconfigure everything and reinstall all my programs on the new drive. When I do this, in your opinion, should I just forget about using firefox and stay with IE7, or does it matter?

thanks again for all your help