Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Web server applications

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to install a web server locally and I'm getting nowhere fast. Here's a "link" to another thread that I started that has a general run down of what I'm doing on it.

I don't really know where I should be posting this but I had posted that thread before I found this forum.

Anyway I'm curious about this because these instructions say to download the following; Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin. The instructions that I'm talking about are "Here".

Question: What advantage/purpose is there to having PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin along with the Apache server? Isn't MySQL a server too?

I am totally confused with all of this stuff, which was supposed to be a simple project by the way.

Thanks for any help.

♥ Wendy

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Apache is the webserver; it's what serves the actual web pages.

MySQL is a database server. It is used for storing information, and is what makes forums such as Geekstogo possible.

PHP is a programming language that allows web developers to create dynamic content that interacts with databases. PHP is basically used for developing web based software applications. PHP and MySQL go hand in hand with each other.

phpmyadmin is an easy to use package that allows you to use a graphical interface to the MySQL server instead of having to do everything though the command prompt.

Together, these make up a WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server.

Instead of having to download and configure each item individually, several prople have put together different wamp packages. The one I use is very easy to install, and is availible from here. There is also documentation availible on that page that should be of some use to you.

-Ryan

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for clearing that up for me, however, like I said already I'm 'really blond' where all of this stuff is concerned and actually haven't got a clue as to what all of that means. But I'm bound and determined to make this thing work.

I checked out that link but couldn't read a word of it, does it come in English?

Thanks,
Wendy

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Oops, sorry about that, I forgot that the default language there was French. This should be in english: http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Ryan,

Hey that looks a lot better now I can read the words and not just the pictures. Next question; did you check out the two link in this post so that you could see what I'm trying to get done?

Wendy

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
It looks like you are trying to install a web server on your computer. This program will install Apache, MySQL, PHP, and phpmyadmin on your computer and run them on it.

There will be a folder that you save the web pages to, and then you just type localhost into the address bar, and you will see the site/pages in that folder.

If I am mistaken as to what you are trying to do, please let me know.

-Ryan

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Rayn,

Yep that's what I'm up to. It all started when I just happened to find out about Tor and ran into "this" on their site. Being the curious little cuss that I am I decided to try it out to see what its all about.

I followed these instructions in step one;

HiddenServiceDir C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\hidden_service\
HiddenServicePort 80 www.google.com:80

They did what they were supposed to do and setup the files that they were supposed to setup but I had to run search to find the files. Q: How do I get that 'Application Data' folder to show up where I can just click my way to it? At the moment it is kind of on the invisible side and I have to use search to get to it.

Anyway when I finally found the file that had the host name in it I copied it to the browser and Wa-la I got the Google front page so I continued on to step two and this is where I run into a stumbling block because I think that those instructions are just for Unix and OS X operating systems and not for windows.

I followed this instruction;

If you're on Windows, you might pick Savant or Apache, and be sure to configure it to bind only to localhost. You should also figure out what port you're listening on, because you'll use it below.

Stumbling block number 1 is the fact that I have no idea how to set either one of those up to bind only to localhost. Stumbling block number 2 is the fact that I have no idea how to figure out what port my PC listens to anything on.

I understand the reason given in those instructions for binding the web server to the local host I just don't know how to do it.

Next comes this:

Once you've got your web server set up, make sure it works: open your browser and go to http://localhost:5222/, where 5222 is the port that you picked above. Then try putting a file in the main html directory, and make sure it shows up when you access the site.

That just does not work at all, all I get is page cannot be displayed when I enter http://localhost:5222 and if I just put in localhost I get a 404 saying that the domain name could not be resolved.

When I try to follow step three I get the same results so I'm stuck! *screams and pulls hair*

As to step four all I know is that I had taken their advice and downloaded Savant for this project. Now I'm not too sure about that program as there doesn't seem to be a lot of help available for it.

Any thoughts on this thing?

Wendy

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
I've never configured the servers manually, I've only used the WAMP package that I've linked to before. You might be better off just installing that, since everything will be configured and all you'd have to do is click a few buttons.

-Ryan

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Ryan, Thanks I'm saving that link for 'just in case'. I might struggle with my project just a bit longer before I surrender. I just hate to let a big gray hunk of plastic get the best of me.

I already have Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin downloaded to my PC so my next question is should I uninstall all of those before going to that link that you gave me and downloading that package?

Thanks for your help.

Wendy

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Sorry about the delay, I had classes and then life got in the way.

I would uninstall them. Less of a chance for things to go wrong.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Ryan,

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner but as you said 'life happens', however :blink: , in my case it would be better said 's%&t happened'.

OK I uninstalled everything that I had installed and deleted all of the old folders too. Then I downloaded that WAMP package but it seems as though its mostly for development and I couldn't get it to work for me.

So I kicked it out and have started my project all over again. So far I have downloaded Apache 2.0.59 and just as before I have hit a stumbling block because I don't understand what the instructions mean :whistling: .

First off I'm supposed to make sure that I 'bind' it to 'localhost' only and I haven't got a clue as what that means or how to do it.

Second, I'm supposed to setup PHP to use with Apache, however, every time that I add these two lines to the Apache httpd.conf file, as per instructions, Apache refuses to star until I comment them out again;

LoadModule php5_module "C:/Program Files/PHP/php5apache2.dll"
PHPIniDir "C:/Program Files/PHP"

The instructions said to put those two lines at the top of the httpd.conf file so as it stands right now those are the first two lines in that file but I have to have them commented out for Apache to start so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for anything that you might be able to suggest.

Wendy