Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

opera crashing my system?

• Please log in to reply

daffodil4s

daffodil4s

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi, i've had lots of bizarre program crashes of late, and all of them started roughly at the same time. i've noticed three programs in particular that have given my fits.

they are: roxio easy cd creator 5

(has worked fine up till a week ago. now it closes itself any time i click "save project" or "save project list as...")

qcd player

(my music player. for some reason it closes itself any time i attempt to change my playlist or add songs.)

and opera (i just recently downloaded version 9.10. it crashes a lot, too, and i downloaded it around the same time the first two programs began to malfunction, so i wonder if it's conflicting with them.)

i also recently downloaded gogodatatray for IE. Aat first i thought this was the culprit. but turning off gogodata when trying to run these other programs doesn't help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I doubt that any of those applications are the culprit. As it's affecting 3 or more of your installed programs I would be more inclined to think it's related more to a problem with your Windows setup or even a device driver. Even bad RAM can cause a PC to crash under certain conditions.

Your first approach needs to be to use the diagnostic and fixing tools that are built into Windows, in this order (applies to XP):

1. Check Disk For Errors: Open 'My Computer', right-click the C driveand select 'properties'. click 'Tools', click 'Check Now', tick both boxes. OK. You will need to reboot to start the disk checker.

2. Now run the 'Disk Defragmenter' at C->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Disk Defragmenter.

3. Download the free trial of 'REGSUPREME 1.4' from here:
http://www.macecraft.com/regsupreme/
Install it, run it. It will find errors that are in your Windows Registry. Select all it finds and then choose "Fix".

If the problem persists I would consider a full re-install of Windows after making backups of any documents, music files, pictures etc.

daffodil4s

daffodil4s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
okay, here's an update. after going through your suggestions, i still have the problem. i had no found errors on checkdisk, and regsupreme found about 570 unneccessary items, mostly from obsolete programs. i also uninstalled opera, gogodata, and my music player. i downloaded a fresh version of the player, but it still doesn't work. although i noticed some odd quirks about the cd creator and the player.

if i add songs on the player from the "add folder" option, it behaves just fine. if i choose "add files," it crashes.
with the roxio burner, i can make cd's so long as i don't attempt to save the project.

the one step in your suggestions that failed to work though is my defragmenter. i had a huge amount of fragmented files - 39% of my hard drive. but the defragmenter stopped at 21% completion and said that the rest couldn't be defragmented.

is it possible i have a virus? i used adaware, norton antivirus, and spybot, and found nothing.