Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FSB Rating

• Please log in to reply

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
[size=5]My motherboard manual states that the maximum FSB rating for a CPU that it will support is 266 mhz. If I put a higher rated FSB on the motherboard, will that work? I feel certain that it won't, but just want to know for sure. What will happen?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One of two things can happen. The MB may not take your setting at all. You type it in and it automatically switches to the highest the MB bios can use. The second thing that can happen is the Mb takes your higher setting and trys booting, gets confused on the setting and just stops doing anything( now your motherboard is effectively DEAD) unless you have a bios revert program built into the bios that will revert it back to what it can handle.

SRX660

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
[size=5]Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'll stick to what my mb can handle!